2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42691

Hang in there Woodsrunner...

I have heard of people (including my last remaining Aunt) on my mothers side... who got Covid and just felt so worn out, no energy, and ended up mostly just laying around all day. Then developed pneumonia and got into serious trouble. My Aunt had to be rushed to Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville, nearly died... but with their help she did pull out of it in just a few days.

A younger lady that works with my wife (early 40's) did the same thing and got the same results. double pneumonia, but again she managed to pull thru and got better.

So it seems to me that even when you feel like doing nothing... get up get out and do what you can.

Just like the last few miles of a woods race... make yourself do it man.

Even if you are just walking around in the house, or to the mailbox, or out to a hillside to plant one small patch of seeds... keep at it .

Good Luck !

TNHunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42692

I suppose one thing I have going for me is my fitness level and the fact that it's very difficult for me to sit around. I guess that's two things. Over the years when I've had a flue bug, I always get out for a bit.

I installed 8 cabinet knobs then went back and chilled in the living room earlier today. Daytime TV is really disturbing. lol My 6-year old dog, Buddy kept bugging me so at around 2pm, we went out for a nice walk up and through the woods, almost two hours. I'm still short of breath on the uphill and am walking slowly but it's good to get out.

I also moved a couple game-cams around then took the pups for their evening walk which this evening was pretty brief.

Thanks again for your concerns.

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42693

Hey Woodsrunner...

Hope you are getting better already. Let us know how you are doing.

We got a nice snow towards the end of last week, right at 4 inches here at my house. One of those wet sticky snows, piled up on the tree limbs. Very pretty !
My wife works at a hospital in the next county and she got stuck in the snow at the bottom of a big hill, that several cars ahead of her could not get over. She was stuck there for almost 3 hours, until the county got a snow plow and salt truck on site and got things moving again. Not fun at all... and my 4x4 truck was in the shop being serviced... bad timing. But we made it thru that...

Got another snow this morning, only about a inch, which mostly melted today.. and now it is snowing again.

As much as I would like to see spring... yep it's still winter !

TNHunter

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42694

I hear ya,come on spring..

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42695

Hey guys, I'm feeling a bit better each day and right now I just have a bit of a cough but it's breaking up slowly. This whole thing has been typical of past flu bug episodes which proceed from aches and chills to head/chest congestion which eventually fades away.

I'm spending less time sitting and watching TV in the morning and more time working in the kitchen and getting outside for walks. I even planted roughly 130 seeds a couple days ago.

TN, we had the snow like you described on Christmas Eve but none since. I'll attach a couple pics from then. The last pic is my best friend Buddy. Dogs! :)

Anyway, continuous slow improvement from Covid continues, I still have some hell to raise.
Attachments:

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42696

sounds like your on the mend,Woods.

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42697

Glad to hear you are getting better Woodsrunner...

I can tell by looking at the timber and lay of the land around your place there, the creek, etc... it sure looks like there out to be some seng there.

Here in TN, when the creek turns from gravel bottom to slick rock bottom, and usually soon after that there will be a drop in elevation (perhaps a 10-20' water fall)... and then you start seeing rock above ground... well that is when the seng starts showing up.

Here is a pic of my backyard and the nice snow we had the other day, it is almost all gone now. Got some good sunshine today.

TNHunter
Attachments:

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42698

we are way behind on snow,only had a inch so far and it melted in 2 day,,but that's fine by me..they say some snow for the next few days..[we will see]..we are around 7 inches below average for this time of year...

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42699

Well, I pretty much feel back to normal though the steeper climbs on my property sometimes require a breather...or two.

I planted another 250 seeds a few days back but we've had a bit of snow the past couple days. Probably only an inch or so. Today it snowed lightly while most of the snow on south facing slopes melted. It was snowing again at dusk when I came inside.

That's a nice pic of your backyard TN, the trees and all look similar to here. I live at the end of a hollow so the creek you saw in my pics originates on my property. There are several drainages on my property that all lead down to form the creek.

I have found seng on slopes near a couple of the drainages. But thinking about it, I have seng growing in several places on slopes facing every direction, I wonder if it's just a matter of where a deer that's eaten berries poops it out? My house sits at about 1050' elevation, the high points on my property just over 1400', I'd guess most of the seng I've found is 1200'-1300'. Rough guess.

Chief, are you familiar with Ozark, IL or Shawnee Hills? I'm looking at a race in that area for Aug.

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42700

Woods iam around 80 miles straight north of Ozark hills...[Shawnee national forest]..its one of the most beautiful places in this state..if you get a chance go to the garden of the gods you wont be disappointed ..

Last Edit: by Chieftain.
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Who's Online

We have 642 guests and no members online

Login