2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 3 years 1 month ago #42731

ddatwood, good to hear from you. I was trying to think of some witty sarcastic comment in line with your post but I guess I'm just not so witty these days. :)

I've only run a handful of times since early Nov for various lame excuses but I ran on Saturday trying to kick-start my training for upcoming races. It was 22 degrees out but once you get moving it's not too bad.

Temps reached into the 50s today and should tomorrow as well. Snow is pretty much melted on south slopes but not quite on north slopes.

I think you're in the NE area which might be still getting hammered. I hope not.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 3 years 1 month ago #42732

wow it got to 60 degrees today...swept out my shop and pulled the boat in..got couple things to do on it,then I will be ready...

opening day... 3 years 1 month ago #42733

no problem..i am always available for a witty and wise *** contributon

opening day... 3 years 1 month ago #42734

Chief... back around 83 84 I worked for a local lake resort owner.. maint mowing brush clearing, etc. Also feeding his African Lions and Hyena.. this guy was named Harold Red Palmer... and he invented the tranquilizer gun... and yes he had Lions and hyena at the resort.
He liked me.. hard worker... and gave me a key to the place.. could fish and trap all I wanted... and boy I did.

He paid me 5.00 for each muskrat and 20.00 each beaver... even thru the summer months. I about wiped them out down there.. but that is what he qanted.

I fed them to the Lions and hyenas... fresh meat. They normal got a block of frozen meat heavy food.. looked similar to dog food but was kept frozen in 5 lb bloxks.

They loved the fresh beaver and rats..

TNHunter

opening day... 3 years 1 month ago #42735

sounds like a fun job,TN.ive ate a few beaver roasts and fried muskrats,good eating...

opening day... 3 years 1 month ago #42736

The Hope of Peaches comes around again...

TNHunter
Attachments:

opening day... 3 years 1 month ago #42737

Same tree in a (no late frost year)...

TNHunter
Attachments:

opening day... 3 years 1 month ago #42738

I started my first RaspBerries last spring.. Everbearing type... Heritage Red, Fall Gold.... 3 of each.

But it turned out that the nursery I bought from, got one of them mixed up... and I got 3 Heritage, 2 Fall Gold, and some type of Black Raspberry (June Bearing).

Last fall the Heritage and Gold gave us lots of nice berries from early Sept to Dec 3 (first hard frost).
The mystery black raspberry, produced no fruit last fall, so I know if it not a everbearing variety... a june bearer instead. So this summer I will see how those taste, and the Reds and Gold will produce again this summer... and then again this fall.

I am starting to like these raspberries pretty good... looks like you can buy just a few and they are very easy to propagate by tip rooting or shoots that come up off the roots.

The 8 in the back are Heritage Red (root shoots)... and the two front left are the mystery black, and the one front right is a fall gold.

I am going to plant some of those for my Daughter at her home in Cookeville TN... and plant the others for myself..

Got to get some FISHING in soon.. have not been yet, too much rain this week, river all messed up.

Hope you Chief, and Woodsrunner and any others out there on wildgrown and doing OK and having a good year so far.

TNHunter
Attachments:

opening day... 3 years 4 weeks ago #42739

looking good TN,to cold here for fishing or gardening or messing around in the orchard..26 degrees here this morning...

opening day... 3 years 4 weeks ago #42740

Chief...

Per our long range forcast... lows for tonight and a few days after.. 41 37 45 53 54

Yesterday they were showing 39 39 36 then back in the 40's and 50's ---

Peach blooms and 37 are Ok... no problems there... I hope those 40's and 50's for lows stick with us until May 1.

If they do I am going to have a LOT of fruit to eat this year.

I have a bunch of new stuff that should bear fruit this year for the first time... a Lapins Cherry, 2 Goumi Bushes, Honey Berry bushes, JostaBerry, currants, and a new Peach that is sure looking like it is going to produce here on it's 3rd leaf. I may limit it to just a few since it is so young... but man it is a very aggressive grower. It is a "Rising Star" and so far is looking really good.

I have some new Ouachita blackberries (started last spring) that will produce this year... and still have my older Ilinni and they are looking good too.... and now all these Raspberries...

Could be a very nice year for berries and fruit... the berries seem to never fail... but out fruit trees here are very hit and miss... our late frosts can be extreme. When they don't happen, over loaded with fruit.

First of April and my morels will start showing up too... Yum.

TNHunter

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds

Who's Online

We have 340 guests and no members online

Login