2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42721

Chief... it's dang cold here in TN today 02/13/2021.. 28..feels like 22...

When I was younger (back in the 80's) I used to stay on the River from before daylight, to after dark (Trapping) on days like this, or even colder..

I remember two occasions where going down the river we had to actually break ice in the slow holes... when the river freezes over here in TN, you know it has been cold and for several days.

Not sure I could handle that now days... but back then it was no problem, loved it, got wet and near frozen all day lots of days on the river... and never got sick.

We made it hard on the coons, mink, fox, beaver, bobcats, possum, muskrats, too...

Those were the days...

TNHunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42722

tonight is going to be a bitterly cold night -10 they say ....-25 to 35 below winchill...I didn't even get a animal damage control call this year..sure miss that trapping..this is the first year since I was 8 years old I didn't set a single trap....

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42723

Chief, I didn't know you were a trapper, what mostly are you hired to trap?

TN, I here you on the getting older and weather thing! I use to run in any weather but in the past few years, not so much. We had about 4 inches of snow a few days ago and now it's in some sort of melting process where it's slushy and sloppy. When younger I wouldn't hesitate to run in it but now, I just walk in the woods with the dogs.

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42724

here the last few years its been beaver ,muskrat,control on ponds and creeks,farmers get beavers building dams and backing water up on farm ground...muskrats making dens in dams on farm ponds....then theres always the ever present coon calls....

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42725

got 12 inches of snow yesterday,,-4 degrees this morning..i was going to go out and take a pic. to post...its just to brutal out there today....

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42726

I suppose we're all getting some version of these winter storms moving through the country. What I'm getting here Chief is milder than what you report. We don't really have the wind chill effect too much.

I was out for almost three hours today, just walking with the dogs through the woods. It was 24 degrees at 3pm when I set out and 22 when I got home, suppose to get down to 14 tonight. It's been snowing but accumulating slowly. I guess we're suppose to get a few more inches by Friday. It was nice up in the woods, down at the house the wind comes up through the hollow and it's a bit chillier and the snow is more horizontal.

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42727

-7 last night..got to 10 above today...been like this for 14 days,they say another week before it gets above freezing...cabin fever has set in.......

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42728

hey hey its above freezing..first time since feb.3.....

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42729

thank god for climate change and global warming.....how cold would it be without it...LOL

opening day... 3 years 2 months ago #42730

ddatwood wrote: thank god for climate change and global warming.....how cold would it be without it...LOL

lmao

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Who's Online

We have 455 guests and no members online

Login