2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42517

Well... Tomorrow is opening day... I got to work... but I am off Sept 3 thru Sept 8th.

May get a seng hunt in on one of those days... got a fishing trip planned Sept 4th...

Off my one watermelon vine we got 9 nice melons... harvested 6 and 7 today... whoppers. Sending them with my son to Cookeville, for him and his sister to share a good watermelon eatin.

8 and 9 still have a little green left in the tendril... not much,.. won't be long until they are ready.

On July 19... I pulled my cucumber vines and reworked that bed, added a bunch of compost and planted a double row of green beans (one of bush, the other half runners)... Today I have harvest ready green beans. That is 43 days from bean planting, until green been harvest. The bush beans are putting out first, the half runners are a little behind them, but loaded with blooms.. I probably have 45-55 days until first frost... hope to get to can a few green beans.

I put up 8 pints of pressure canned chicken, and 8 pints of beef veggie soup this weekend.

There is a young deer (spots just now leaving) that keeps showing up in my back field... I expect to be looking at (some of that meat) thru a jar before lone :-)

Tenderloins and back straps will keep for grilling... but may can most of the hind and front quarters.

TNHunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42519

our season opens the first sat. in sept.....if it don't rain its going to be a short season.the ground is so hard you would need a jack hammer to dig...

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42520

Our season opens Sept 1 Chief... today... just got off work... think I will go and dig a few from a near by hollow.

I may not dig a lot this year... but I do have some land that I will be selling in a year or two.. that has some 3 prongers on it... I will see if I cant get those all dug before it sells.

We have had plenty of rain here... except for a few weeks in July... but now even thru August we had really good rains. Expecting a really good berry crop this year.

I will try to take a few pics this evening and share later..

TNHunter

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42525

We had a 500 gal. propane tank in OR. It serviced our furnace, water heater and cook stove. We didn't have AC there.

Hope you guys have some good hunting this season. I plan to dig one of my own for personal consumption, any suggestions on preparation. Have any of you experienced euphoria or any health benefits you can relate to it?

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42528

well it was opening day.i got out and dug a hand full of roots...don't think a rain will help now...seen mostly drying up and burnt up plants,,,never seen a berry on any plants.....

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42546

dry,dry,dry.....28 days now since ive mowed my yard....had less than 2 tenths of rain this month,less than a inch last month...it has cooled down...think iam going to start thinking about going fishing....

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42547

Chief...

I have fishing on my mind too... going to have to get some of that done. Sept Oct are normally very good smallmouth bass fishing times here.. when the nights start cooling off some they really start feeding.

On GInseng... man this is as SLOW as I have ever seen it here on this board... just nothing happening. Or at least no one excited about it and telling us about it, or showing pics.

I still have some Garden stuff going on... Have picked Green Beans a few times now... and canned 15 pints.
In another day or two, will do another picking, they are starting to load up again. Not sure how many times you get to pick from green beans but my half runners are still producing pretty good. I can pick them one day... and 2-3 days later there are lots more.

My Black Eyed Peas have small pea pods showing up now.. they are still small and green but growing fast and loaded with them. Looks like I will get to can some of those too.

My Okra just started putting on pods this week.. the Red Burgundy variety is a little ahead of the Jambalaya.. It has some 2-3 inch pods on now.. where the green Jambalaya is just starting to show pod tips now.

Carrots, Beets, lettuce looking Great.. Lettuce is ready to eat now... Beats and Carrots will be later on. I will probably let the carrots go until Mid October (another month or so) and they should have some size to them by then.

Report on the newby to Pressure Canning... getting the hang of that now.
So far..
15 pints Green beans
8 pints chicken thighs/legs
8 pints beef veggie soup
7 quarts beef veggie soup
7 quarts chicken veggie soup

Going to have to make me a canning jar storing shelf soon (for the basement). Cool and dark down there.. should store them good.

TNHunter

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42548

glad your still getting stuff from the garden TN.all that stuff you are canning will be good this winter when the snow is flying...just seen our forecast no rain for another week.....

opening day... 3 years 7 months ago #42549

Hey guys, I found 178 berries on my plants this month, up from 80 last year. Finding the additional plants helped. Highlights included plants with 12,11, and 9 berries. I'm currently in Dalton, Georgia for a race in the woods. I don't figure to dig any this year.

opening day... 3 years 6 months ago #42569

talked to a buddy of mine today,someone poached somewhere between 1500 and 2000 plants from him and his neighbors property ....he said close to 200 plants were 40 years old....he was sick over it.....

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 639 guests and no members online

Login