2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Update on ginseng prices?

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #14810

kyjabber wrote:

BCastle wrote:

I think we have already discussed the more likely reason that some state's ginseng is valued higher than are others or particular sections within a state. Quality. That's it. No more no less. If all quality were the same, then supply and demand would have a more basic effect. As it is, supply and demand must be broken down withing quality ranges.

For instance, I live in the section of the state with the poorest quality ginseng. However, I buy most of my ginseng from other areas. The stuff that grows around here is worth less than the stuff that grows a couple hours southeast in the edge of the Appellations.

I don't think it's that simple. Sure soils and other growing conditions are going to impact it. The dark rich soils in the Oh valley are obviously fertile. Remember, KY has some of that fertile soil in that area, too. Kentucky has quality root, not just quantity. A big problem is digger education, which the managing agency will have a greater push on this for harvesters starting next year.

And on that, if diggers couldn't sell the poor root (the broken up ones, smaller, etc), ie if the market talked, that would help Kentucky's ginseng reputation, too. And yes, I get a little defensive about Kentucky root. It's what I'm paid to represent.

Thanks to this forum and others on the web and the increased knowledge from state officials, you will see better quality root coming out of Kentucky.

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. If diggers only harvested heavier roots and left the others grow, there would be a reduction in supply and at the same time an increase in quality.

Handling is a major issue. Delivering high quality roots handled correctly and appealing to the market is what you can do. The quality characteristics you can't do a whole lot about if you are limited to digging in a particular section.

Some sections are more appealing to the market than are others. I\"m not certain fertility is where it is as much as color at this point. (certainly fertility will increase the size of the roots in a shorter length of time)

One other thing, just because a plant has three prongs, or the root has five neck scars and is therefore legal, doesn't mean it should be harvested. Guys and gals, if you start to dig a root (regardless of 3, 4 or even 5 prongs) if the root is too small...just cover it back up and wait a year or two to dig it. Those small roots lesson the quality and value of your lot and that of the area and state too. Those legal plants with small roots are much more valuable right where they are making seed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #14827

Kygirl......I've called buyers all around the central part of the state and the price seems to be anywhere from $400 to $450. I don't think it's time to panic just yet, we still have time for alot to happen with prices. Just curious how much you are looking to get out of your seng?

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #15103

Gilloglys-
Our price in (White Cottage)Zanesville,OH is $500 and up for good wild OH ginseng. Please call 740-849-2587 740-252-6947 or email bhmatc@yahoo.

Shop: 5380 Jonathan Dr. Zanesville, Oh 43701

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #15196

ohio river ginseng is paying 475 right now

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #15203

WOW, Ohio River at 475 a pound! That's not good. I always sell to Mitch at Ohio River, and he has always quoted me the best price for my genseng. This may be the year I hold mine over. Good luck to everyone getting a fair price. Thanks to all for the updates on prices......

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #15204

I'm now paying $500 /lb for good quality lots of Ohio ginseng. Exceptional lots maybe a little better.

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #15206

I'm Mitch from Ohio River Ginseng. Also paying $500 Lb. for GOOD quality OHIO dug ginseng. Extra nice root more money. Market still unstable, so quality is very important.
Ohio River Ginseng 330.385.1832

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #15232

I CALLED MITCH AT OHIO RIVER GINSENG TODAY HE SAID HE WAS PAYING 400.00 FOR KY GINSENG.

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #15233

I ALSO CALLED THE GUY AT GRAYSON KY HE WAS PAYING 450.00 IF IT LOOKED GOOD.

Re:Update on ginseng prices? 12 years 4 months ago #15238

called newton ridge gun in malta ohio he told me $520 slight drop from the $530 a couple weeks ago but still the highest ive found in ohio so far

Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Who's Online

We have 329 guests and no members online

Login