2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Emergence of 2014

Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27906

Here we GROW again! I found this little two prong along with many others that were just barely peaking through the leaves yesterday. Sure is nice to see them all coming back

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27907

Hill,
Congratulations on the first of the season. I hope it turns out to be a great ginseng year.
Hugh

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27908

Hillhopper...

I went turkey hunting this morning... got on a good one but when he flew down he sailed off the bluff and down into a big green field and met up with some hens and then I just had no luck at all getting him to come my way.

On the way back home I looked at a few of my seng beds and did not see any up yet.

These were all 2-3-4 year old beds and none peaking up yet.

I am expecting them up any day now... we have a few early red buds blooming here. Going to have to look around for some morels soon.

Nice looking 2 pronger !

TNhunter

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27917

Hey Fellows,
Here is a small group of Bloodroot plants on an Eastern exposure where I planted ginseng. The sang has not shown itself yet. Probably in a couple of days.

Hugh

Attachments:

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27918

Here is some Black Cohosh just coming up at the same location.

Hugh
Attachments:

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27919

I was up inspecting and working my beds this weekend. There was nothing above ground.... however, I just couldn't wait. I carefully brushed away the leaf clutter to look in a 3' by 12\" swath. I found at least 10 roots getting rady to jump out. These beds were very full last year, and I went ahead and pulled these to look closer at them. I'm pleased with all of them.
Attachments:

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27920

When you're looking at the above photo, please note the size of the emerging bud! It's at least twice the size of one pulled after the season is done, and appears to be bursting with energy. When these emerge, these will be two year olds.

If you look at the one to the upper left of the quarter, note the branching out this one is doing. It should be, later, a root with a lot of filled out buds [well, if I hadn't pulled it up...] and is a good indicator of a root that has run into something underground that has caused the sideways growth that you see there.

I carefully backed out of my beds, and so as not to disturb any more roots that were about to pop up.

Pretty exciting to discover this!!!

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27924

Nice pictures them all.

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27928

I went looking for morels this evening on a nice long hillside where I have some wild simulated 2 and 3 year old beds.. I found one on this hillside last year...

Found no seng up yet, and found no morels either :-(

Pruned my grape vines, apple, plum, peach and pear trees..

Got some greens coming up in the garden --- Glad spring is here !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #27930

nice pictures all, I did find about 13 morels on sunday 11 blacks and 2 whites.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Who's Online

We have 229 guests and no members online

Login