2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Emergence of 2014

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #28119

Still no sign of anything here in PA, of course we are supposed to get some snow today also.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #28125

First ginseng I found was on the 19th. These were not open until Sunday. I hope it does not freeze too bad tonight the 23rd. Last year I had ginseng up on the 20th of April. These were first year plants last year and I have so many two prongs this year to count. 30LBS first year planted and 30 Last year. I should have many little ones to take care of now. A note last year people were mowing grass a week to two before this year. I have found very few plants from last years planting as of Monday but will check it all out tomorrow.

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #28155

PA just starting to grow found today. NEPA

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #28168

Went n dug a couple bags of leeks for my girlfriend n grandfather next to where I transplanted about 50 roots no sign yet but usually don'tc it til 1 st or 2 nandweek of may

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #28178

I checked my seed bed this morning and 34 out of 42 roots have sent up tops so far.

Last year I had 41 tops up on those 42 roots... with one remaining dormant.

Another week or so and I think about all of our seng will be up here in Southern Middle TN.

TNhunter

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 11 months ago #28180

I checked the mountains yesterday as well as the house and the highest elevation that I found plants up was at 2500 ft. I have really been impressed with the growth of the plants at my house. I have some that are already over 12 inches high and beautiful seed pods formed on them. This has to be from all the rain that we received last year and the freezing and thawing of the ground this winter and spring. I haven't had growth like this since I began growing ginseng. I'll get some pictures on to show you what I mean. I'm glad that everyone's seng is doing good here in the South.

Hugh

Here are some pictures that I took this morning of the nice plants that I am seeing this Spring. I hope you all enjoy them.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/Choosing%20places%20to%20grow%20ginseng2.htm

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 10 months ago #28201

Looking good there Hugh.

I would say yours are a little farther along than mine.

They sure are pretty when they first come up, all nice and new and clean looking.

TNhunter

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 10 months ago #28202

Hugh, those are some really nice plants. Are they wild simulated? It looks like we started growing around the same time, my oldest are 7 years old.

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 10 months ago #28203

Thanks TN,
I just love walking through them and admiring the beauty of a ginseng plant. The time that they are emerging and \"in the bend\" is intriguing, and then when the berry pods turn deep red in the Fall, is just majestic. They remind me of a Poinsettia plant for some reason. I'm looking forward to seeing your plants when you get ready to photograph them. I'm a little concerned about this weather we are about to get in a few hours. Strong winds can break the stems off and they have not formed a new growth bud yet. It's getting close to us now and I'll be uneasy throughout the night. Good luck as the season progresses.

Hugh

Lenno thanks,
They are starting on their 8th year. Some of them are younger than that because I had to kill out some poison ivy and Virginia Creeper with Round Up. I had to replant those and lost a couple of years. Those that I photographed are all Wild Simulated. The wild ginseng is in another section.

Re:Emergence of 2014 9 years 10 months ago #28204

Love the pics, Hugh... I feel the same as you, I visit my plant areas 3 or 4 times a week just for the enjoyment.

I cant keep the wind from laying the Ginseng down but due to the few days of wet, cool weather we're going to get I went ahead and give my plants a shot of fungicide to help them push through in case they need it. I would hate to see them start to drop this soon.

TNhunter, That's about how it is here as well. Everything is about 50-60% up with plenty still to come. The ones in this photo that are up have already begun to stretch on out and fill in.

Attachments:

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 248 guests and no members online

Login