2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 2 years 9 months ago #42812

Chief the last two years we have had plenty of rain.. even into July.

It's not always like that... I have seen late June and July, and all grass was brown... it is green and lush now.

I like the green better.

I hope we get a few good rains in Sept and Oct to keep the Seng going this year.

Not sure I will hunt a whole lot, but hope you get to.

TNHunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 2 years 9 months ago #42813

iam like you TN. i hope to get out and dig some but i'll have to wait and see...we've had so much rain the farmer are now worried that all the stuff that they spray and incorparate on the fields may be diluted or washed away completly ..nitrogen is there biggest worry.

Last Edit: by Chieftain.

opening day... 2 years 9 months ago #42814

Chieftain,
sounds like you are getting all of California's rain

opening day... 2 years 9 months ago #42815

We are getting a lot of it over here in TN too...

They are short and we are overloaded... I like to pick tomatoes after 3-4 hot dry days (flavor is best)... but the past several weeks, rain every day, or every other day...

I am picking this evening.. water logged or not.

Got out in the woods a bit today... ginseng looking good, some nice fat green berries on now.

TNHunter

opening day... 2 years 9 months ago #42816

yea, i got out and scouted a woods sunday..i broke my own personal best record....killed 13 skeeters with one slap of the hand.previous record was 10....its bad in the woods here..i went through enough spider webs i could have knitted a pair of coveralls with all the webs i walked through.seng looked good and healthy, ill try and take pic.s next time.but it may be awhile..

opening day... 2 years 8 months ago #42817

been putting up corn .56 quarts yesterday.picking more today....

opening day... 2 years 8 months ago #42818

finished up the corn yesterday...146 quarts....now the green beans are ready...

opening day... 2 years 7 months ago #42832

ive collected around 150 red berries so far... most are still green.....going to be hot and dry the next two weeks they say...

opening day... 2 years 7 months ago #42833

Your corn looks good Chief.

We finally bought a chest freezer and it's packed with corn, beans, tomatoes and salsa/sauce my wife made from maters.

Last year I collected around 280 berries, this year 40! The @%#&% deer have devoured almost all my best plants. Some of the berries I did collect, the plants were leaf-less!. I have one honey-hole i haven't checked but I don't know if I'll even bother.

opening day... 2 years 7 months ago #42834

woods with the spring we had i was shocked how good the corn was..green beans wernt great .to much rain early on....collected another 45 berries day before yesterday.....

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 269 guests and no members online

Login