2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: TNhunter 2014 Season

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32434

Well Tn,
It looks like you had another good day. Congratulations and I hope you do get in a couple more hunts. I went to one of my lower altitude patches in the mountains and just about everything was yellow and on the ground. It's over down low and the frost may end it at high altitudes as well. I think it will get below freezing above 4000ft. I haven't dug one root this season but I finished the day off by planting two big fat red berries that I found on a couple of small plants I've enjoyed everyone else's pictures and comments. Thanks to all who have shared.

Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32439

Killer pics Hunter. It never gets old hunting ginseng and admiring the pics afterwards. Wish the season wasn't so short.

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32451

TN if I remember correctly I am just a little bit north west from where you are. I haven't gotten to go but 3 times so far thisom season but made it out to a little patch friday morning and was surprised. I only dug a little over 5 oz. but left a lot of smaller ones for years to come. Every plant I found still had plenty of green left on it, only a few were turning yellow. I didn't find any that were completely turned yet. Most all of the ones lower on the hills were barely starting to get a light tint of yellow on the very edge of the leaves. Up higher on the hills the leaves were about 1/3 to 1/2 yellow. We've not had hardly any rain at all recently but after the temps getting down in the 30's last night, I don't think it will hang around much longer. Good luck and hope you dig a bag full. I'll just be happy to get a 1/2 lb dry before it's gone.

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32477

Found a few small ones today, didn't dig any but this gave me hope that there's still a bit of time left to dig this season.
Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32526

I went on a short hunt this evening on a fellows property that goes to my Church.

His place had been logged (select cut) not all that long ago and was mostly grown up in briars and thick stuff. Hard hunting.

We did manage to find 3 - 3 prongs... and a couple 2 prongs.

Only 2 were diggers... one of the 3's only had 3 leaves on one set and I leave those. It did have a couple berries and I planted them.

We ended up taking home 1 root each.

Could have been worse... at least we did find a few.

ONE more root for the pile.

GI - it's funny how you are still finding some green and here where I live on both ends of the county (east and west wise) they are all in the ending stages of yellow to very pale yellow. All we found this evening were very pale yellow.

I am going to give it another try on Saturday.

PS... below is a pic of that really nice 4 prong I found 7-8 days ago. It was nice and green when I harvested it and had a big wad of berries.

Since then I have had it sitting on the bar counter in the kitchen... and all week it has been slowly turning yellow. Nice shade of yellow now with some streaks of green left in the leaf centers.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32560

Wow TN, that pic of yellowish/greenish with berries is really nice, it could be on a ginseng calendar. And I like the jigging on your bone handled canoe pattern pocketknife also. What brand is that?

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32571

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Enjoyed my visit with your thread my friend.

As always good choices.

Blessings brother.

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32618

Billy..

Glad you liked my post this year. Looking forward to seeing more pics on your post.

Blessings to you and your family too.

Mortis - it is a Case \"Canoe\" Knife.

I lost my 20+ year old case knife in the creek this summer fishing for smallies and black perch.

Had to get me another and got this one online (off Amazon).

It has the amber bone handles and the blade metal is the CV (the old original case knife metal, not that stainless steal stuff most newer knives have).

I have a Lansky sharpener... and after using the fine ceramic rods on it, then stropping it a bit on my old leather belt, it will whittle hairs.

That is that CV metal doing that. It sharpens up real nice. Best I remember I paid something like 50.00 for it. Was not bad at all.

Found it on Amazon again just now. Link below.

www.amazon.com/Case-Cutlery-Pocket-Chrom...ywords=case+canoe+cv

TNhunter

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32623

TN, you are having a great season!

Re:TNhunter 2014 Season 9 years 5 months ago #32629

Agree with you on that Whit.

Seems like I have had a better than usual appreciation for the outdoors this year.

Went nuts for creek fishing this year and caught a lot of nice fish. I am shopping for a Kayak now, saved up enough to buy one.

Cant get enough of seng hunting this year either.

TNhunter

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds

Who's Online

We have 66 guests and no members online

Login