2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42085

It was a nice cool 97 today, and no rain in sight. I'm about a hair from just putting my roots in the dry box and hanging it up till next year. There's not one day this month worth getting out, so sad, but you can't do anything about the weather. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise with the prices being lower and all. Guess I'll set my sights on fall fishing, that is if the lakes don't dry up first, lol. The rivers around here are already baked.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42101

Talked to buyer today he said 500 a pound for dry. Might not want to quit yet

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42104

hey AK, it's not so much the prices, it's the heat. It's been in the low to mid 90's everyday this month. 500 a lb is somewhat hopeful for a decent price come November. I'd be pretty surprised if it reaches 700 a lb though. I'm guessing it will top out around 610-650, but I could certainly be wrong. I'm just simply not gonna get out there and have a heat stroke. It's just not worth it to me. I'm looking forward to checking it out in October though, although I'd be surprised if there's much left by then given the dry conditions and heat. I hope everyone who is putting in the work gets a good price for sure.

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42105

I work in the heat all the time so I guess I never worry about temp. It's 97 here now. When I checked last week most of my plants were down already

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42106

I hear you AK. We've got those big ole mountains around here, the kind that'll just swallow you up. You might go in there in 97 degree weather, but you sure won't be coming out, lol.

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42107

Around here we have hills. I would love to get off in those mtns one time. Always heard Ginseng was bigger. Would be neat to see. Around here it takes alot of work to get a pound of green.

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42108

thanks for the price imfo,digger,they say we may get 2 to 3 inches of rain sat.night and sunday,then next week the high temps. may only be in the low 70's so I may get out next week...

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42109

Suppose to get down in the low 80's next week. It should be a bit cooler than that up in the mountains. I may take a look around as well. The leaves are really starting to come down around here. Ak, there is some big seng up in these mountains, but along with it comes some of the most difficult terrain you'll find anywhere in the world. It's beautiful, but you have to really respect it. You can really find yourself in a mess back in there for sure. It truly is physically impossible in high heat/humid conditions.

Well, just checked the forecast. Make that high 80's next week, lol.

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42110

I'm a roofer by trade the heat doesn't bother me to bad starting to slow down now that I've gotten older but I can't bring myself to get in the woods for less than I make on a regular job. Around here you really don't have big woods like in the mountains. 150-200 acres of woods is alot. So I never am more then a few hundred yards from my vehicle.

opening day... 4 years 7 months ago #42111

Boy, I bet it does get brutal up there on that roof in the summer. I'd love to have some easier places like that to hunt seng in. Even the places I hunt just off the road I have to climb up the side of a mountain, or down in a deep hollow.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 295 guests and no members online

Login