2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featured on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 3 months ago #27103

Well gentlemen and ladies. I have been reading and watching and it all comes to a scary reality for me. Number 1. the government wants to control anything that makes money. Ginseng has been making money in the U.S for a long time now. It is in my opinion an endangered plant,at least in my area. I feel if it was not for me and a very few others that go early in the season and top plants that are not developing seeds or are to young to develop seeds. the wild plants would be all but extinct around here. Number 2 the media and T.V. in general is a brainwashing technique designed to increase the governments income. I wish that only folks that had a understanding of the plants growth and reproduction were allowed to dig it.Number 3 things are changing at a alarming rate in this country. We are lucky the ginseng selling is still legal. I cant understand why state laws don't change to only allow people that can pass a test and agree to pay for a permit to dig. The test could determine if someone understands that growth cycle of ginseng. Also to dig plants only with 10 root scars or more to sell.The show makes it appear that you can dig sane and make enough to feed your family. 99% of diggers probably just make enough to buy our kids something for Christmas.I do wonder how many will hit the woods looking to get rich next season because of this.It will probably be determined on the economic situation. I know myself it is not a get rich quick deal. Its hard work and time consuming but for me it is a relaxing, comforting get back to the basic lifestyle I desire.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featured on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 2 months ago #27454

wise1 wrote:

Well gentlemen and ladies. I have been reading and watching and it all comes to a scary reality for me. Number 1. the government wants to control anything that makes money. Ginseng has been making money in the U.S for a long time now. It is in my opinion an endangered plant,at least in my area. I feel if it was not for me and a very few others that go early in the season and top plants that are not developing seeds or are to young to develop seeds. the wild plants would be all but extinct around here. Number 2 the media and T.V. in general is a brainwashing technique designed to increase the governments income. I wish that only folks that had a understanding of the plants growth and reproduction were allowed to dig it.Number 3 things are changing at a alarming rate in this country. We are lucky the ginseng selling is still legal. I cant understand why state laws don't change to only allow people that can pass a test and agree to pay for a permit to dig. The test could determine if someone understands that growth cycle of ginseng. Also to dig plants only with 10 root scars or more to sell.The show makes it appear that you can dig sane and make enough to feed your family. 99% of diggers probably just make enough to buy our kids something for Christmas.I do wonder how many will hit the woods looking to get rich next season because of this.It will probably be determined on the economic situation. I know myself it is not a get rich quick deal. Its hard work and time consuming but for me it is a relaxing, comforting get back to the basic lifestyle I desire.

All they have to do is put it on the endangered species list and all trade of it will be illegal. At least interstate and international. You could still sell locally harvested ginseng to someone in your own state. Though with the cultivation industry I doubt it will ever be put on the list, at least nationally. Although states where it becomes rare may enact their own laws outlawing it's trade though.

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 1 month ago #27606

Hello y'all have read much of this thread,in our state of Ohio.There has been a campain to come down on the poachers to have pic ID, required proof of land owner permission documenting harvest location that the buyers must have and keep records of each purchase.Still some buyers at times overlook these regs in pursuit of the money.local buyers have been caught with many fake docs.Then fined,confiscated product never allowed to deal again.Yet this is not getting control of poachers when the busted dealer is then open by his wife ,daughter,son,or brother..long prison terms for poachers and illegally buyer will slow this down and make some more honesty in this trade..seen History channel now has a series, \"appalation outlaws\" ....wow there must be a better way. Reading a book by David A Taylor..\"Ginseng the Divine Root\" in the book he speaks of in the times of the Ming Dinasty (dangers)where believed in the root have a living spirit and would take on the spirit of a dragon ,tiger,or lion to protect itself. When sangers came to spot they knew had a root earlier.To explain it being illusive to survive diggers ran in fear..they would flee.. yet it was still dug. Money money money...later in the book (15-20) years ago it was a 6 billion dollar a year business in Hong Kong..that's hard to stop IMHO. Just some food for thought..or I just needed to talk About The Divine Root

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 1 month ago #27612

Jimseng,
Good to hear from another fellow Ohio senger.
Not going to ask where you live but was wondering if you find any nice wild stands in your neck of the woods. I miss the old days where I used to find 4 and 5 prongs taller than my knee caps. I hope there are some still hiding out there in a tucked away place.

I have found a few great patches in the past few years. One patch had over 100 4 prongs in the 30 to 45 year old range. I transplanted some of them to other spots.

The second patch had 75 nice ole 4 prongers in the 25 to 35 year range. They are still there.

Both patches were isolated in two different woods varying from 23 acres to 30 acres. Just a few plants were found here and there well outside and far away from the patches which was puzzling.

Both patches were growing in an area no larger than 1/2 acre but like I said the rest of the woods didn't have much at all.

Thanks,
Latt

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 1 month ago #27624

Latt - Sounds like you found Grandpa's woods grown patch that was left behind when he passed....

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 1 month ago #27626

I always wondered that too but the mother plants were growing on slopes so steep I used to hang on to small trees with one hand and dug with the other. I mean it was a 60 foot drop to the bottom of the creek bed. perhaps you are right or it was just one hell of a spot that went unhunted for years.
Latt

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 1 month ago #27628

ittiz.. I have thought sang was already an endangered species and governed JMHO
Hello Latt,
fellow buckeye. I have found some small patches here and there on my property.The local scuttle is before my arrival here 18 years ago many local (poachers) dug hundreds of pounds out here on me and my neighbors. now they think it is mostly dugg out.
I am propagating my own patches now and am happy with a few good pathes I can see from my front porch swing.
I am posting my plant I use as a gauge for the patches under my front porch
as my grandson says me happy
Wow it worked...Porch sang
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 1 month ago #27629

have to learn resize pic
let's try this
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 1 month ago #27631

Its status is vulnerable. If its status were endangered all trade of ginseng and ginseng related products would be illegal. At least across state lines. So you wouldn't be able to mail order seed for instance. For now I believe it's trade is regulated internationally so you need special permits to import and export it from the country, and of course some states regulate.

Re:Ginseng Poaching Featuered on CBS This Morning Program 10 years 1 month ago #27692

Ittiz,
after this being in question, In reading into this, I believe that Ginseng is listed as endangered, since 2012 according to CITES ( Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) www.fws.gov/international/plants/index.html

www.fws.gov/international/plants/american-ginseng.html

It is listed as an appendix II which allows for its harvest and trade under regulations
www.fws.gov/international/pdf/factsheet-...ainable-use-2003.pdf

thanks for causing me to educate myself farther on this subject... and for all of us here at wildgrown

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 132 guests and no members online

Login