2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DeerHunting 2012

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21438

Whitjr wrote:

I think we are entering the post-rut here in piedmont NC. Not nearly as much pushing of the does going on here.

Whitjr, I think that the mountains here in TN are experiencing the same and this may be part of the problem besides the Bear Hunters and their' dogs. I will probably try out some lower elevation areas in hopes that the rut is still somewhat in progress. With the bucks retreating to their hiding spots and does going their separate ways, it will be hard for me to get a buck until the 2nd rut comes around! While I could probably take a Doe during the times permitted here, I refuse to do so after the 1st rut is over! Life is hard enough on man or animal in these mountains during the winter and I will neither shoot a Doe that is probably pregnant, nor orphan a Fawn that needs its mother's milk to survive through the Winter and into Spring until the Calcium again rises in the grasses and other plants. Without the needed Calcium from its mother's milk, a Fawn has little chance of surviving until the Calcium is available from grasses and other plants!

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21450

Whitjr wrote:

Nice buck there 5Prong! Good shootin! And great eatin, later....

I think we are entering the post-rut here in piedmont NC. Not nearly as much pushing of the does going on here.

How much meat did you get?

Thanks Whit,
Normally I process the deer I shoot myself, but because of other stuff I needed to do plus higher temps I took it to a buddy who has his own business processing deer. He does over 200 deer a year in addition to his regular job... Anyways, I'm not really sure of the exact poundage but think there is between 60-70 pounds.

Some of them are on lockdown now, but as soon as the does they are with get bred those big boys will be traveling again looking for the next candidate. The temps are plummeting again here, so that
ought to get them moving again

Hang in there guys, it isn't over yet...
Good Luck

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21451

Whitjr wrote:

Thanks Whit,
Normally I process the deer I shoot myself, but because of other stuff I needed to do plus higher temps I took it to a buddy who has his own business processing deer. He does over 200 deer a year in addition to his regular job... Anyways, I'm not really sure of the exact poundage but think there is between 60-70 pounds.

Some of them are on lockdown now, but as soon as the does they are with get bred those big boys will be traveling again looking for the next candidate. The temps are plummeting again here, so that

Good Luck

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21452

Whitjr wrote:

Thanks Whit,

Good Luck

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21453

Whitjr wrote:

Thanks Whit,

Good Luck

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21459

5prong- Is it possible that you held the keyboard button down a bit too long on your last post? LOL

I've been out 5 times since Friday night and havn't seen a deer since Friday night. I missed my shot at the doe on Friday night. %^*#@! Am off to hunt until thursday. Going back out tomorrow am......

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21464

there is an eight pointer hangin in our garage,it was taken minutes before last light on opening day. He was full of corn...mmmm..mmm corn fed deer. It's a bitch guttin in the dark. Weight after guttin 180lbs.

Guy

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21468

Congrats! I hear you, guy- the gut-ectomy is my least favorite part of all of the whole hunting experience.

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21471

Congrats Guy! Where's the pic?

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #21472

Congrats Guy! Where's the pic?

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds

Who's Online

We have 338 guests and no members online

Login