Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DeerHunting 2012

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 6 months ago #20369

• POC
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Trying to get started
TNHunter,
During your shooting days, did you ever meet Randy and Shelly Johnson from Indiana? Randy is a pretty good shooter. He shot IBO as much as I can remember. I know they traveled all over. He had a daughter that shot too. She was a GREAT shot. She won the Nationals several years running. I can't for the life of me remember her name. She passed away a few years ago, in her 40's I think.
I think they both shot for Xi back then. Randy still shoots some, but his vision is bad, histoplasmosis in his eyes. He's shot some at IBO events in the last few years. I just looked him up on IBO's website.
Anyway, thought we might have a passing acquaintance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #20805

Eastern NC Gun season opens tomorrow, and lasts thru 1 Jan. I'm stoked, going to a gameland in the am w/ a good buddy!

Bowq season been open here in central NC for about a month. no luck so far....

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #20810

Good luck Whit, Not sure how many you're allowed to get, but home you can get them thinned out some near your patch.

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #20929

5 prong- Thanks. Here in NC, season is long and divided up amongst bow/muzzle/gun. Sept 16 - Jan 1.

We can take 6 deer during that time. If you have the time to hunt you can get tags for two additional deer to be take off of private land where they are pests.

I havn't had a good shot yet during bow. Seeing seer, just too far away to take a bow shot. Maybe next time....

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 5 months ago #20983

Whit, I haven't been out yet. I did go out tonight and cut a couple of trees that had blown against a tree that I have a stand in. Luckily my tree stand wasn't damaged, but I had to cut part away from the ground and some from the platform of my stand. That's pretty scary stuff, running a chainsaw on a tree stand platform when some of the limbs were above my head. It wasn't one of the brighter things I've ever done, but I couldn't come up with any other alternatives. Oh well, I survived and now the stand is back in service.
Once I got done with that, I quickly dug enough yellow root to about cover the cost of the gas to get over there. I didn't look around a lot, but did see several rubs and scrapes on the way in and out. Good luck to you. I'm hoping to get out for a morning hunt this weekend:)

Cole got a 6 pointer... list your favorite deer in a crockpot recipe... 11 years 4 months ago #21191

Hey Guys...

Cole strikes again.

Yesterday evening, Juvenile Season, he got a nice 6 point buck at around 80 yards.

He is big enough now to shoot a .308 that was passed down to me from my Grandfather. We were hunting on land that was passed to me from my Grandfather too.

Whole lot of tradition going on there.

Had a great hunt and cole smoked him good.

===

Any of you guys/gals have a really good deer in a crockpot recipe ?

Thanks

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 4 months ago #21193

TNhunter,

Congrats to Cole on taking a nice 6 point Buck! I would bet that Dad had a bigger grin on his' face and is extremely proud of Cole!

My' favorite Deer Crockpot recipe is as follows:

(I won't give amounts of vegetables as this varies depending on the size of the crockpot and how many you want to feed!)

Cut-up several (2 to 3) nice sized and tender Deer Steaks + 1 half pound or so nice Sirloin Steak in small cubes (1/2\"x1/2\" to 1\"x1\"), add a light covering of Crisco to bottom of skillet, add meats and score them well on all sides, add water and cover to steam meats for about 5 to 10 minutes, remove meats from skillet. (Make sure to save everything in the skillet when the scoring is done for making a thickening gravy).

Add the Deer and Sirloin Steak cubes, water to at least cover the meat, at least 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder (or 1 to 2 cloves of fresh Garlic)(might take more depending how \"Wild\" strong the Deer meat is **), 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon Salt, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper, 2 pinches of Cumin, 1 pinch of Curry Powder (be careful with the Cumin and Curry Powder as a little bit goes a long way and can overwhelm the taste) to the crockpot and slow cook on medium for at least 4 hours (you might need to set the Crockpot on High for the first half hour just to get the meats and seasonings up to a cooking temeprature).

[** I am sure that you are aware while others may not be aware that the \"Wild\" taste in Deer, Squirrel, Rabbit, Wild Turkey, Wild Boar and Bear comes from them eating Acorns. The \"Wild\" taste has nothing to do with the Musky scents given off by some of these, especially older mature males! Garlic in either Powder form or Clove form will tame this \"Wild\" taste and make the meat more patible to the taste.]

Add cut-up potatoes, green beans, corn, sweet peas, cup-up onions, cut-up celery, cut-up carrots and 1 to 2 cans of diced tomatoes (not stewed) and cook on medium to near high heat for an additional 2 to 3 hours.

Add additional Garlic, Salt and Black Pepper as needed per tasting.

When the vegetables start to get tender and everything is nearing to be cooked, add 1 can of Collard Greens (this gives any meat and vegetable based soup or pot roast lots of body), make a thickening gravy using a good White Flour not Corn Starch (we use White Lily brand) from the scoring remains in the skillet and add to the crockpot. It is good to cook down any remaining water, add a little Crisco then add Flour and brown the flour somewhat before adding water. Make sure that the gravy does not get too thick and cook on a setting of about \"3\" for at least 5 to 10 minutes to ensure that the flour is cooked (you don't want the gravy to taste like uncooked flour).

Add the thickening gravy to the contects in the crockpot and cook for an additional 1/2 hour to hour, stirring as needed.

Let cool down and serve with a good Cornbread made from White, Yellow or both White and Yellow Cornmeal. Mmmmmmmm Good!

Sometimes I add a few dashes of a good Soy Sauce into my' bowl to give the Pot Roast a little more flavor and body. Dang, this is making me hungry!

Good luck on the Pot Roast!

Frank

Corrected to add and correct some information and make things more simple!

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 4 months ago #21195

Congrats to Cole! He got one before I did!

Was out today, just in now. Pretty windy here, we are on the southern side of this storm [Sandy] and I thought they might be movin' some today. Alas, no deer this am.

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 4 months ago #21204

Congrats Cole! Nice shootin!

Re:DeerHunting 2012 11 years 4 months ago #21228

Thanks for the comments guys... and I will let Cole know.

I think he is turning out to have both the luck and skill of his Dad when it comes to deer hunting. Two shots, two bucks, at 9 and 10 years old.

Frank - appreciate the crockpot recipe. I will have to give that a try.

I am going to slice off some tenderloin this morning and fry it up for breakfast... YUM !

POC - I just noticed your question on the Johnsons and I can't say that I knew them. Back when I was doing all of the Archery competition I got to know a lot of folks, but mostly just on a first name basis, or just knew their faces but not there names. Some of those tournaments had close to 1000 shooters attending (especially the larger IBO Tournaments - like the tripple crown). The TBO Tournaments (which I was the President of for the first 6 years)... we usually had anywhere from 300-500 shooters at. I knew most of the club officers and many of the better shooters (my competition) fairly well. The last year I signed a contract for High Country was 1992... so it has been way to long now for me to remember a lot of those folks.

Whitjr - keep after them buddy. Down here the rut is not far off. That buck that Cole killed was after a couple of does. He was chasing them but they were not cooperating yet. It made for some serious excitement for us. We watched him chasing the does around for a few minutes but they were moving too fast for a shot. He finally got a little closer and when he got to a clear spot I voiced a bleat and it stopped him cold right in the clearing. About 2 seconds later Cole put the hurt on him. He dropped right in his tracks.

It was some serious fun. Cole stood up and yelled out and we were high 5'n and such. He had a serious case of the buck fever shakes for a few minutes after that.

Don't get much better than that.

TNhunter

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Who's Online

We have 385 guests and no members online

Login