2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: High Mountain Sengin 2018

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41339

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41340

I hear you on that one. One time I got into a nest and when I was running away, I ran through another nest! Ended up with about 20 stings. All in the back of my head though. So I got lucky there. I am more worried about bees than snakes. I wear snake chaps so at least if I would happen to step on one, I should have some protection. Ain't no protection from bees except your eyes! Glad you are a diggin! Pictures are awesome! Keep it up!

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41341

I almost forgot, I found a few stalks one time and was starting to dig and all of a sudden I noticed that my boots were covered in bumblebees! I took off like a bat out of hell. Luckily I didn't get stung. Later on that season, I came back through that area and remembered where the ginseng was and I snuck over and got it!

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41342

You're exactly right on that Carl. There is nothing you can do about yellow jackets or bees, but just take the time to watch were you step and even then sometimes they find you. There was two nice 4 prongs that I had to leave that were close to the nest. Those yellow jackets were just pouring out of that hole. I got outta there in a hurry! I tell ya between that and sticking my hand in a hole of broken glass the other day I guess a snake is gonna be next on the list, lol. That's alright though don't mind a little blood and sweat, makes the beer taste better when I get home.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41343

nice,44 congrats...yes sir its hard to dig when your swatting for your life...I was digging one time,took a break leaned up aginst a maple tree and the bald faced hornets came boiling out their nest...didn't take long the break was over.....

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41344

thanks chief, It was a nice morning except for getting stung. My hand and shoulder are still hurtin. Those suckers can really light you up. You have to run into some kind of obstacle for the day to be complete, lol. I sometimes think i'd rather deal with a bear as those darn yellow jackets/hornets.

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41348

Beautiful Seng there 44! I love the pictures! Last year I was digging a couple, looked to my left and saw the yellow jackets pouring out of the ground. Lol I took off over the hill, got stung twice but finally got away from them. I was angry so I made me a torch out of some rags I had, lit them up and went back to face the bees. Lol I worked my way back to the nest real easy and got that torch right over their nest. I burned them out and dug my Seng! Lol I was happy as a Lark after that LOLOL

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41349

Thanks trapper, love taking those pictures! Good for you, sounds like a good plan! I hate those damn things. I know what you mean they do make you mad as hell cause you can't fight the sob's, lol. I tell you I put together a first aid kit to take with me just in case. You never know what's gonna happen out there, and it's a long way from the hospital I can tell you that!

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41350

Well, got up to the mountain this morning it was 66 degrees, but felt like 85. We had some Good rain here yesterday, and it was real humid out there today. My shirt was just ringing wet. Started off slow, but ended up with just shy of 14 oz's this morning not to bad considering I had to scout most of the morning to find a decent pocket of seng. The ridge I hunted today was so steep I thought I was going to have to rappel down to the bottom. Best part of today though, is I didn't hurt myself!

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 7 months ago #41351

13.9 oz morning and a cold one after cleaning some wild seng, love it!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Who's Online

We have 436 guests and no members online

Login