2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42284

I spent most the day digging post holes and setting posts for my garden. Then I decided to start working an area that the previous owner planted stinging nettles when a pretty good rain started. I put my dogs in and sat under a porch roof waiting out the rain, heard my first thunders of the year.

We had a couple snows last week (I think) but they were minimal. Lot's of stuff blooming or sprouting, like the daffodils.

Glad the tornadoes missed you and your family TN. I've never seen one myself but while stationed in OK in the 90s recall a couple coming through.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42285

60 mph wind gusts today,,to windy to haul rocks...wow...

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42286

It is quite gusty here too Chief... but at least the Sun is Shining !

It is cool, and that wind does not help. It was much warmer yesterday... had me thinking about going fishing tomorrow/Saturday..

But that's not happening with this Breezy Cold snap that has come upon us... dang river is probably still up anyway.

TNHunter

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42302

ive had rain, sleet and snow this morning..hello spring.....

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42303

first case of the virus confirmed in my county

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42304

its getting nuts,now they have closed all bars and eating places...glad I got plenty of ammo

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42305

its getting nuts,now they have closed all bars and eating places...glad I got plenty of ammo

I've stocked up on plenty of Corona, the beer that is. On a more serious note though, stay safe out there guys. I tell you the media has everyone scared sh@tless over this stuff. I bet I wash my hands a dozen times a day. Hope this crap disappears in a few weeks. Of course, stocking up on ammo is never a bad idea..:laugh:

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42306

Where I live there aren't many bars and restaurants but the schools have closed and pretty much all the shelves with paper products are empty, as well as bottled water. The death rate from this virus is very low and mostly affects folks with other health issues. But people will be people and social media doesn't help.

Anyway, I survived my wrist puncture the other day. I was overdue a tetanus shot anyway.

When bloody gross scenes come on TV, I usually look away. Even while in the military I struggled with first aid training: blood and other stuff like that.

However, when my own blood was spurting I did not get queasy, I was scared thinking I had cut the arm equivalent of the femoral artery and immediately applied direct pressure and moved quickly to the house. On the drive to the hospital, I knew enough to keep talking thinking it was worse than it was. I was actually embarrassed when the doc lifted the towel from my wrist and it wasn't bleeding. I apologized but he said I did the right thing and I needed a tetanus shot anyway.

Back to the virus, glad I don't drink Corona, however I was cutting some volunteer trees yesterday and noticed my pruning saw is made by Corona, hope you can't get it that away. ;)

I do agree that isolation until they get a handle on this is prudent. If the stock market doesn't recover soon my wife is going to have to come out of retirement. ;) again

It might be too early for ginseng but I've been looking anyway. lol

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42307

Back when I was planting stratified seed (now I only plant red berries from my seed bed and my berry producing wild sim plants)...

The earliest I ever found seng up from stratified seed was March 18. Today is March 16... so if you are on down south like me... it is getting close to time.

But this was back in 2013 and we had some warmer than usual springs back in those years. This spring has not been as warm... so I would not expect those early birds for another week or two or more.

TNHunter

again this is a 3 leafer emerging from 3/18/2013

when they are first breaking thru the leaves the top is bent over and the crook in the stem leads the way thru, then the top with the leaves bend up towards the sun in a day or two.

Attachments:

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42308

Here is what a 4 prong looks like breaking out...

This pic is from 4/20/2013 --- note the older plants don't dare stick their heads up so early... 3 leafers do though... and I have had them get frost bit and die too.
Not all 3 leafers come up early though.. just a few seem to be extra early, and those usually happpen on hillsides that get a little more sun (for me more north east facing, rather than due north).

TNHunter

Attachments:

Last Edit: by TNhunter.
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Who's Online

We have 133 guests and no members online

Login