2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 4 years 2 months ago #42274

Well, We had one day of beautiful weather couple days ago, but today it's snowing. I think i've seen enough cruddy weather over the past month to last me a while. At least the snow is prettier to look at. I sure hope this spring doesn't bring a lot of rain because I think we've seen enough to last till summer, lol. To bad I'm not a writer I could've had a couple novels written by now.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

opening day... 4 years 2 months ago #42275

14 degrees here this morning,brrrrrrr.....

opening day... 4 years 2 months ago #42276

43 degrees here in TN at quitting time on Friday evening... and a nice SUNNY evening too.

We had some snow (about a inch) earlier this week.

Going to try and get the last of my fruit trees and berry producers ordered for new plantings this year - this weekend.

We had a short warm dry spell a week or so ago (4 days without rain) and that ended on Monday night... and I had Monday off for Pres Day !!! I got planting holes prepped for 6 more blueberry plants, and 2 pear trees.

My hope is that by the time I retire in a few years... I will have something (actually multiple things) getting ripe and ready to eat in my yard and orchard / food forest from May thru October... Two of the new apple trees I am planting are long store apples... Gold Rush... they say you can pick them in october and put them in cool storage.. and still be eating good chrisp flavorful apples in Jan/Feb/March...

It is about time a nice long warm dry spell... I need some fresh smallies for supper !

TNHunter

opening day... 4 years 2 months ago #42277

rained all day yesterday,rain all day today .rain tonight,snow all day tomorrow,oh goodie...

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42278

It seems Chief that sometimes we get a similar yet less severe dose of what you had a couple days earlier. You mentioned sub-0 temps and soon after our nigh time temps were in the teens.

We just had 3 days of nice weather and today was 60 with isolated rain, still not what I expected moving back east from the PNW. But I like it so far. I have daffodils at the brink of blooming, what happened to "April showers bring May flowers". :)

What I need are consecutive dry days during the week so a contractor can remove our chimney to below roof level and close the roof. The chimney leaks when it rains hard and we can't remodel the kitchen, dining room, and part of an upstairs room until the leak is fixed. He only needs two dry days but they keep falling on weekends.

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42279

rain changed to snow about 7 pm last night...spring time ..oh boy...

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42280

That's quite the blanket of snow. Looks like you might be cooped up for a while. Good day for putting another log on the fire and watch the shining, lol. Well, it's wind and rain again here today. I noticed some of the trees around here are starting to bloom.

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42281

We had a little sunshine early yesterday morning then the clouds came back the rest of the day... and they are still here(no sun today)... gloomy looking... and starting to spit a little snow now.

Chief - man you got a pile of it ! Very Pretty but I expect you have seen too much of that.

Wild - I have a bradford pear tree and it is breaking blooms now... it is my earliest bloomer now (that my two Japanese plum trees died).

I learned my lesson on plum trees... Japanese plums bloom very early - both mine bloomed in mid Feb - and in 10 years I think I got one good crop off them and a couple small ones.

European plums (I planted two last year), bloom much later (Mid April I hear)... so hopefully I will get a crop much more often on those. The two that I planted last year are showing no signs of blooms yet.. which is good. They should bloom mid April and be ripe late August and September. We'll see this year.

Still wishing for more sunshine and warmer dry days... down here in TN.

TNHunter

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42282

You might have heard the news of Tornado in TN last night... Killed 22, last count I heard.

It was north of me - up around Nashville and went east from there, to near Cookeville.

All we got here was more rain.. but it did some serious damage up north of me.... worst of all killing at least 22 that they have found so far.

I don't know of any board members that live up in that area except possibly... Hillhopper best I remember was located somewhere up north of me. I think he was north of Nashville though... so it may have gone south of him some.

It came thru around 2 am... we have a basement, but at 2 am, not sure I would have made it down there in time or not. That is the main reason I included a partial basement in our house plans.

My daughter lives in Cookeville TN (on the north side) and it went a little south of them... no harm done to them, except they were without power that night and well into today.

Spring can get ugly at times....

TNHunter

opening day... 4 years 1 month ago #42283

Same here TN, just got some more rain, and a little wind and lightning. River is full again. Every time it gets down to normal we get hammered with rain again. We have some friends up around Nashville, and they're all fine. Those tornadoes are scary. If you get hit head on by one I don't think it matters where you are in the house. You better strap yourself to a pipe. It's insane how powerful those things are, like a nuclear bomb.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Who's Online

We have 406 guests and no members online

Login