2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: One nice one today!

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #36916

Fun day!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #36921

All right maya. Hate digging in rocks like that but the berries always take a good hold in them. I would say a yote.very nice shang

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #36962

Should be better digging today Hobbler, and hopefully I get some brutes like you got yesterday! This place really spits out monsters like this....
Attachments:

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #36964

Maya,

I'm really enjoying the pictures that you and Hobbler are placing on the site. Great looking plants. Yesterday while I was in NC, namely the Blue Ridge Escarpment and why they bring that elusive $1200.00 per pound like your area does. They showed me rocks that have a speckled look to them and said they contained Barite, which is a chalky white material high in calcium. It grows some pretty sang.

Hugh

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #36968

Killer plant maya those are the ones that keep us coming back. Hard to beat a good cold beer after a long day of hunting while cleaning roots too.

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #36970

Couldn't get to where I wanted to today, so I stopped at a spot where I thought I could get some berries in the ground, but got a little surprise! About 30 yards after I got off the 4 wheeler I heard something large running...bear! It ran from above me, right in front of me at about 30 yards, and right downhill away from me. I couldn't figure out why he didn't go uphill away from me, but oh well, pretty cool! About 20 seconds later another one, this one running right at me! There was big tall briars and mountain nettles, so I guess he couldn't see me until he was 30-40' in front of me. I pulled out my 9mm, put one in the chamber, sprayed some lead over it and yelled! He turned tail and bolted! Once I calmed down I started laughing and called my buddy that owns the property. He heard the shots. After that I settled down I did manage to get a few 15 yo roots and put a few berries in the ground. I did see where the bears might have been bedded down. This matted down area was not from me!
Attachments:

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #36971

Glad you made it out alive maya. As the crow flies I don't hunt far from the great smokey mountain national park, and yes I use a gps to make sure I don't cross boundaries. There is bear scat everywhere, and I mean big bear scat. I was digging a plant just the other day and there was a big pile literally right next to it, not sure why it didn't eat the berries. I carry a 9mm also and hear people all the time tell me that a 9mm won't stop a bear. I told them if it doesn't stop it then 15 rounds in the head will sure make it change its priorities, lol.

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #36973

You get a shot in the head or heart, they're toast! Like I said, I just flung a couple over his head, he heard it bark, and he took off. I never had the big gun syndrome. I just feel blessed to see them, made my otherwise crappy day good.

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #37047

My 4th day was a tough one, but rewarding! Hot as all get out and I went on a long scout, but it payed off with a few big old ones and several others.
Attachments:

Re:One nice one today! 8 years 6 months ago #37048

Pic didn't post....
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 509 guests and no members online

Login