2024 Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Currently shipping until sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ohio ginseng season 2012

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 2 weeks ago #20400

Thanks SNV - I've got one more new spot to Check out this year and then I think I'll be done. All but 2 of my old spots got a break from digging this year. I've got several that haven't been dug at all for three years, and a couple of others that have only had a few plants dug out of them in the last couple of years. How often do you return to the same areas?

I've never dug more than about 5 dried pounds in a year, but am hoping to hit all of my spots in 5 or 6 years and dig in the neighborhood of 20 pounds. I've been checking out lots of new areas the last few years and have found a few pretty decent spots. It will probably take finding a few more good areas for me to be able to reach this goal.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 2 weeks ago #20408

5... I have been hunting new areas the last few years. Sometimes I will hunt areas 2 times a year if it is thick cover and green on my 1st trip, I usually go back and try to catch it yellow.

As far as how long I like to let a area recover after I think I have covered it pretty good all depends on the type woods I am in and how much I leave, if its a really good producing woods I try to leave enough so I can come back soon, I enjoy it so much I like to leave a place I can always find seng. To have a set time frame on return time is hard to say, I guess it all depends on how much a person clears out the woods and of coarse how good the woods are.

SengNveins

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 2 weeks ago #20439

Took my daughter on combo squirrel hunting, root digging trip today. She got one gray squirrel, dug 7 seng plants that totaled 2 ounces, and dug 12 ounces of yellowroot. She also dug up a yellow jacket nest, but luckily was only stung once. I had to chuckle because she looked just as ridiculous as I do when I get into them. (Running through the woods waving my arms around my head - just a sight to behold)

The girl is one check of a good shooter with my 17 HMR. Killed the only thing she shot at today. and was about 45 yards away. She found the first ginseng plant about another 30 yards down the hill from where the squirrel dropped, so that was pretty much the end of the squirrel hunting for the day and the start of the root digging. I planted the last ounce or so of seed I had while she was digging. It was a very good day ;)
Attachments:

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 2 weeks ago #20445

Congrats to your daughter on a the squirrel and the diggin'. Nothing like spending time in the woods with your kids. Quality time in the woods is hard to beat.

SengNveins

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 2 weeks ago #20447

Thats great 5 prong, I like taking my daughter seng hunting too. She has been going since she was 4 or 5 years old. I save the easy to get to spots for taking her and she loves digging ginseng.

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 2 weeks ago #20455

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Thats great 5 congrats on a wondeful well spent day with your daughter and i would imagine nthat gray will eat good emmm emmm :)

Billy.

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 2 weeks ago #20473

Thanks guys, it's always great getting to spend some quality time with one of my kids.

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 week ago #20669

Guys, every pic that I have posted on this thread has been of roots that I've dug except for the seven roots that my daughter dug a week ago. This pic however is of a giant that my brother dug. it is completely dry and weighs 3/4 of an ounce. It weighed over 2 and a quarter ounces green. He said it had a big double top. one side 3 and the other a 4. This is truly a giant for around these parts, and larger than anything that I've ever dug.
Attachments:

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 week ago #20679

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
That is a nice root 5 congrats to your bro:

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 week ago #20683

nice