2024 Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Currently shipping until sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ohio ginseng season 2012

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19546

Nice plants and roots 5prong!!
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19549

Pretty plants 5!

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19557

hey guys! brand new to ginseng hunting this year, here's what I got so far(Morgan County, 27 ounces green) :) I've hunted for a total of only 6 hours so far, but I hope to log at least 12 more this weekend :)

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19558

Hey Leighton, nice looking Ohio ginseng! Congrats on a nice dig.

It may just be the photo, but it appears that you may be getting the roots too clean. Not sure if you did, but never use a brush on them. They are more valuable with a little dirt left in the rings.

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19559

that's what my guy said too, and he's been a buyer for like 30+ years (Rick Campbell in Stockport/Malta) :( I sprayed them with the garden hose. I added some individual pics of some roots, do you think I hurt the price? I've only sold about 3oz. and thats what he said about the ones I took (they were too clean)I think he gave me the price he quoted me on the phone, $140/lb green, should I expect 100% or should I be prepared to take less?

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19564

Rick is a good guy, he will treat you right, but he,s telling you the truth. just listen to our advice in the future and don't get them so clean. we're only telling you this so that you can get the best possible price. I doubt that he will discount the price on you, being a first time digger. It looks like you did a pretty good job digging.

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19566

I went out there the first day with my flat head screwdriver and worked my ass off to dig them, and damaged a couple :( the second day I took the old man's \"digger\" basically half a mattock and that was way easier. I ate so many stems I about overdosed on gensing stems! :laugh: I was soaking wet and sweat was pouring off of me like a waterfall. I felt like a rabbit gnawing all those stems off :silly:

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19569

That sounds like a great day to me.:woohoo: I use a digger similar to what you've described, but I always carry a big old flat headed screwdriver with me for some of those tough spots.

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 1 month ago #19574

Love to hear you fellas are doing well in Ohio. I used to dig in Muskingum and Licking county. Never dug in Morgan county. Those are some nice roots. Good advise 5prong. My first year I dug back in 76 I scrubbed each one with an old tooth brush. I didn't get dinked but Glogly down south of Zanesville gave me the going rate.
Latt

Re:Ohio ginseng season 2012 12 years 3 weeks ago #20068

Guys, I haven't gotten out a whole lot this year. I have checked out a couple of new areas this week, but didn't have much luck. The first spot looked great with as many maidenhair ferns as I've ever seen, but I only managed to find one little 5 leaf one-prong. The second area I checked out started out quite promising. I found several decent 3 prongs as soon as I stepped into the woods, and was thinking that this spot may really pay off, but two more hours of searching failed to produce another single plant:( . I've just gotten permission to hunt a little over 6000 acres. It is not all wooded, but quite a bit is. I won't get a chance to get there until Sunday, and really don't have high expectations for this fall because with these cooler nights we are having hear the ginseng is going to go down quickly. (frost and freeze warnings this weekend). Hopefully I'll get into some of it before it is all gone this year, but it looks like I'll have an area big enough to keep me busy next fall.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Who's Online

We have 371 guests and no members online

Login