2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Deer Hunting

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16117

Yesterday's hunt was a beautiful day n the woods. Got to see the dawn rise, and came down fron the stand on by buddy's place around 0900. Relocated back to closer to my home, helped another friend butcher his deer and get it in the freezer. Then went back out at 1130 for a day hunt.

The deer around where I live are pressured, as there are a lot of us hunting around here. There's a 700 acre farm out my back door off my little piece of heaven, that the farmer lets us hunt. About half is in hardwood well-established forest. He's glad to have us hunt it, as there's a whole herd of 'em here.

Didn't see anything yesterday. Well, saw a whole lot of squirell and and some really pretty woods. Found a treestand location that I'm going to file away for a future time. But no round out, no 2nd deer to clean....

TN Hunter-I have a old 11 point rack in the freezer I need to process like you did. someday.... I've been waiting in hopes that my wife will relent on having it inside the house! so far it's a big no! You are right about a P bottle... Been a part of my huntingpack for several years. Once you reach your late 50's it's an important part of the pack!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16166

NOt much luck last weekend.

However am going to persist, and go out in the am!

Is the season ended for al lot of you guys? Our season ends 1 Jan.

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 4 months ago #16167

Our regular season ends Jan 1 here in middle TN.

There is a Young Sportsmans hunt Jan 7-8.

TNhunter

Cole's Buck finished... 12 years 3 months ago #16233

I ended up just getting some old barn wood from a shed at my moms house and made the rest of what I needed to mount Cole's 8 pt buck.

He really loved the tail so I skinned it out, split it and tanned it with a tanning mix powder and made room on the main board to attach it.

Here is what it looks like finished and on the wall in Cole's room.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Cole's Buck finished... 12 years 3 months ago #16234

One more from the other side...

Not professional quality, but hey he likes it !

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Cole's Buck finished... 12 years 3 months ago #16236

That's pretty darn cool!
Latt

Re:Cole's Buck finished... 12 years 3 months ago #16237

TNhunter

WOW! That turned out Fantastic! Beautiful Mount!

Nice and white and clean looking. Nice job on the pedestal woodworking too.

You should be proud of a job well done! And Cole should be proud of his deer and the great job his dad did on his deer.

Congrats!

classicfur

Re:Cole's Buck finished... 12 years 3 months ago #16243

looks great...

Re:Cole's Buck finished... 12 years 3 months ago #16244

Neat! ... Looks good. I'm sure Cole will keep that safely displayed on a wall for a long time.:)

Re:Deer Hunting 12 years 3 months ago #16247

Thanks for the good comments.

I will have to admit that I took a shorcut on the skull whitening, or at least an easy way out on that.

I just taped up the horns good and used some white spray paint on it.

Just hit it lightly 3-4 times letting it dry in between.

Got into all the nooks and crevices good.

Got some overspray on the teeth (did not think to tape them up) but they were sort of nasty looking, dark and discolored so the white paint makes them look a little better too.

I can't imagine the bleach treatment turning out any better, and hey I already had a couple cans of white spray paint in the garage so just used something I already had.

I will sure do, Cole likes it and it does look sorta cool.

Perhaps when he gets one better than that, he will be old enough that a nice shoulder mount will be more appealing to him.

May be a while before he beats that one, but hey who knows - I sure was not expecting one that nice for his first buck !

TNhunter

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 455 guests and no members online

Login