2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: No questions. Just observations of my hill.

No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38916

Now that I can Identify most of the the companion plants, I went up on my hill. What I found the most of was maiden hair fern,if they were worth anything I'd be rich. Their growing practically from the creek bed to at least halfway up the hill if not further and from one side to the other of what I own. Top half of the hill is grown up has some select cutting done a few years ago. Hard to get through that.

Also found bloodroot, black cohosh, have a little patch of mayapple down by the creek, and growing here and there up the hill, that is if I've identified it correctly. A couple of other ferns no idea what there called yet. Think I might have found a spice bush as well.

The pics are of a few other things that are there but I've no idea what the names of them are yet.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38917

No idea what this is is growing along the creek bed.
Attachments:

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38919

MHF Its kind of small, growing next to the one that I don't have a name for yet.
Attachments:

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38920

Growing here and there
Attachments:

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38921

Wild ginger?
Attachments:

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38922

If this one is worth anything let me know and if you could tell me what it's called I'd appreciate it. I've got it growing all over the place. So in conclusion from everything I've read I should have a really good chance of ginseng growing here. I've already ordered seeds.

Thank you for this forum. It's been very educational.
Attachments:

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38923

Pic # 3 Garlic Mustard. Leaves are edible and taste like a cross between an onion and garlic.
Small quantity good mixed in a salad.
Latt

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38931

Maiden Hair Fern is one of the best companion plants IMO... and in Scotts Book, he says it (and just a few other plants) require almost identical site to Ginseng.

I have been in just a few hollows that had MHF but did not have Ginseng. Rare but it does happen.. and I expect that if you planted seed there Ginseng would grow.

Looking at all of the lush growth you do have I would say you have a good chance of success in that location.

I also noted your mention of the ridge top being select cut, and thick (which is the result of more light getting into that area now).

I have found this to be true over and over again... that Ginseng grows really well on hillsides where the ridge top has been clear cut or hard select cut, making it cast more light down on that hillside than usual. Big stout plants, with fat rounded leaves (rather than the more narrow pointed leaves).

Bluffs that face almost due east giving the plants a LOT of morning sun... but then no evening sun, are excellent locations to find monster plants.

Around here it is a common logging practice or was a few years ago anyway... to clear cut the ridges and replant in pines... leaving good hardwood timber in the hollows.

Down in those hollows, near the creek or low on the hill...you find average size, smaller plants... but as you get closer to that clear cut on the ridge top, the plants start getting big and stout. Even up into that area where the weeds are growing like crazy, 7-8' tall weeds (from all the extra light) there would be huge 4 prongs growing in that weed mix.

If I were you I would do some test plots starting down low on the hill or in the bottom (especially if sandy, rocky soil which is well drained)... but also try on up on the hillside, including up into those places on the hill where you find MFH, and lush growth from the extra light that is getting in there. I know that established plants will often thrive and get huge when the light does open up and start getting to them. Not so sure if sprouts from seed could do the same.

That is why you put out a few small test plots and have patience... after 3-4 years you will know.

Good Luck

TNHunter

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38948

Latt thank you one more plant identified.:)

Re:No questions. Just observations of my hill. 7 years 7 months ago #38949

TNhunter Thank you for replying. I can definately find MHF. Ginseng seems to have been over harvested in this area of the forest, so far I've only found two and both were along deer trails. I'm pretty sure the deer ate the one I found back in the spring. Which sucks because I'm beginning to think it was one of the early ripening strains since it already had berries on it in June. Maybe it'll come back up next year.

Glad to hear the cutting we had done might actually be beneficial.

Big patch of blackberries on the ridge now which I consider a good thing.

I've got four ounces of seeds coming in September. Two from Wildgrown and two from another source. Going to start at the bottom and work my way up. We'll see how it goes in the spring.

Maybe I'll have some of those monster plants in a few years:)

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 218 guests and no members online

Login