I started my seed bed in 2010 and figured at some point I might have an unusual top show up among those 40 or so older nice roots I planted in there...
I have a couple of double top 3 prongers in the bed (one just showed up this year), but this year got a nice surprise on what was a nice 4 pronger the past few years.
This year it came up a 6 prong, with double berry stems.
I had not looked at them all that close until this weekend and then noticed this one.
It has 4 nice prongs in the regular position, and then where the berry stem normally is there in the middle, it has two prongs that sort of shoot straight up and each has 5 leaves on it, then to the side of each of those prongs, on the right and left there is a berry stem (double berry stems).
I was checking out a 3 year old patch and found this one.
It made me do a double take... cause at first I thought it was a little 4 prong.
Turned out to be a couple of 2 prongs growing side by side that had the leaf sets positioned like a 4 prong.
You can see a little yellow bullseye spot on one leaf and again on a leaf edge. Alterneria Blight... usually starts out with little yellow spots, and may later turn to a bullseye spot, and I have seen it develop on my wild sim to where the leaves look like they are melting.
I see this on the wild seng around here too, so it is common to my area.
It has thinned out my original wild simulated plantings a LOT.
I am not going to spray so they will just have to thin out to levels that the land can naturally support considering the disease issue and they are doing that. And I have changed my planting methods to only planting small areas and planting much thinner.
Where the are thin and spaced out, they may still develop a few spots like this one, but will often survive all year.