2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question on Unsprouted Seeds

Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35580

Hi All:

So I'm relatively new to ginseng planting and growing. Last Fall, during October and November, however, I purchased stratified seeds and planted them in various shaded locations around my farm. (I'm living in a region that appears to meet the specs for decent ginseng growing.) I'd typically lift up the leaf bed, loosen the soil a bit, plant relatively close to the surface as instructed, and replace the leaf bed.

As I've gone back around to the locations where I planted this Spring, I haven't noticed anything having sprouted up. I'm curious as to why this is. I had thought that stratified seeds were supposed to sprout the spring immediately following the fall planting. Did I do something wrong, does it sometimes take longer, what's really going on here? Any thoughts or suggestions are helpful. I had wanted to plant a few more this Fall, but if I'm planting things that won't actually grow for whatever reason I don't want to waste more of my time and money.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35584

Ginseng has a complex dormancy requirement. Sometimes we don't understand why it does what it does. You are not the only one dealing with this issue this year. In my case, the seed is still in the ground and viable, so I anticipate seeing it next spring. Not ideal, but not a loss either. Normally, stratified seed does come up the following spring, but even with outstanding germination, I still see some new ones coming up a year or even two years later.

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35585

Where did u purchase the seed from?
Ask for a refund or replacement. Folks that can't back up a product have no business selling that product. Welcome to the forum.

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35586

This is something that I hate to have to be involved in but the time has come to do something.

Mike Lee, as the administrator of this board I am asking you to ban Brad Castle from Wildgrown. com. He is a shame and disgrace to the ginseng business! He needs to join MSN and become a spinmeister. When you sale a product to someone and it fails to perform as told, you should have to replace it or give the money back. His philosophy is to make excuses and keep the money.

Hugh Hartsell

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35588

Sorry Hugh, I agree with the concept that your stratified seeds should pop up in the following spring, but Brad is correct! I have seeds still sprouting 3 and 4 years after planting. Possibly your post was a bit out of line.

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35589

Hugh, I understand you are frustrated, but a seed dealer has no way of knowing what the customer does with the seeds when they get them. They could let them dry out or plant them incorrectly. Something could eat them before they have a chance to come up. Who knows? But the best thing to do is find a seed dealer you have good germination with and stick with them. I really don't think Brad is out to cheat anyone. Sometimes these things just happen.

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35590

Well fellows,
If you think my post is a bit out of line, or that I'm frustrated, I'm sure you won't mind repaying all the people who have lost money and time to dealers who sell a faulty product. Line up with your money, it's going to take a while.

Hugh

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35591

If I was a young person and just starting to get into the ginseng growing, I would start with my own native transplants and have my own seed source.
These would do so much better than the diseased strains of farm seeds you order.
With ordered seed you could even bring in diseases that would destroy your wild seng.

Everyone has dreams of growing a lot of poundage with a lot of ordered seed but in reality it pretty much all dies unless you spray, spray, spray!

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35592

I planted 5 lbs in a spot 5 years ago \"Rake and Scatter Method\".
That is 32,500 seed planted. I now have after year 5 about 200 four prongs, approximately 300 three prongs, 200 two prongs and some yearlings. So it looks like I have a bunch of big beautiful ginseng. But that sure is not a lot of plants left after planting 32,500 seeds.
I have never sprayed them and they are healthy.
Latt

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35594

Latt wrote:

I planted 5 lbs in a spot 5 years ago \"Rake and Scatter Method\".
That is 32,500 seed planted. I now have after year 5 about 200 four prongs, approximately 300 three prongs, 200 two prongs and some yearlings. So it looks like I have a bunch of big beautiful ginseng. But that sure is not a lot of plants left after planting 32,500 seeds.
I have never sprayed them and they are healthy.
Latt

Whoa. So if there are 100 yearlings that's right at 2.5%. Ouch. Might be a good reality check that we newer growers need though. I'm still cool with those numbers myself. Especially chem free.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 162 guests and no members online

Login