2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question on Unsprouted Seeds

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35597

So I have a question.

If I buy good seed and store it incorrectly or mother nature delays germination and I am not happy, is that the seed suppliers fault?

Anyone buying ginseng seed should be aware that many factors can screw up germination. I think there are seed dealers out there that buy and sell inferior seed and we know one of them lives in MI in my opinion because their seed never does well at germinating for anyone or if it germinates at all. Stay away from these folks.

However, I have bought seed from many sources with mixed results from year to year and I know it is risky when I buy them. Find one or two suppliers and stick with them. If you develop a rapport with them and they trust your planting methods I would surmise they will make it right with the buyer.

Next question- If I pay to have a fishing captain/guide take me fishing and we do not catch anything should that captain/guide return my money.

If a guide takes me bear hunting and we do not get one, should he return my money.

If I buy a $300 Tree and plant it too shallow and do not water it and it dies should the nursery give me my money back.

If I take medication to lose weight and eat a large pepperoni with extra cheese by myself should I get a refund from the pharmaceutical company because I am still fat.

Where does it end and when is the seller not at risk anymore from being sued or openly chastised by the buyer. That's what is wrong with the world.

Anybody ask anybody what their policy is if the seed doesn't germinate. Perhaps the seed seller would refund the price of the seed or replace the seed at no cost or at their cost minus profit. Who knows because NOBODY ASKED THE QUESTION BEFORE THEY THREW SOMEONE ELSE UNDER THE BUS.

Seed buyer beware, seed is finicky at times. Find a seed dealer that works for you and that you trust and give them your business. If something goes wrong talk to the seed supplier and I bet they will give you some tips on planting. If you are a seasoned grower I bet they will make it right with you in some way.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35599

I'm not personally upset or blaming anyone necessarily. This is all sort of an experiment for me. I did get the seeds from WildGrown.com, as a matter of fact.

But look, I realize when you're buying seeds you're buying into a chance it's going to grow but a bunch of different conditions could get in the way. Maybe something you do mistakenly prevents growth and it's not the fault of the person who sold you the seeds. I get it. I was just hoping for some pointers if there were any to give. I've heard ginseng's growth can be quite fragile but I haven't quite known what to expect.

I've never found any wild seng on my property, and I don't know where to get a native transplant from. I admit I don't know what diseases the seeds may or may not be carrying, but I don't know what diseases they might get at any point in time after I planted them either. It seems like it's all a crap shoot regardless.

I've planted seeds in multiple different locations throughout the property hoping to try out variations in conditions and see what works best. Actually, I was pretty amazed at just how much more ground vegetation there is now than in September. I suppose that's what you'd expect with the seasons, but I didn't realize so much of the ground vegetation would have died back by early fall. At any rate, one of the things that crossed my mind is that the seng might be competing with all of these other ground plants. There were actually a lot of plants that look nothing like new ginseng in the beds where I had planted the seeds. I didn't know if that was a normal thing, or if I should be weeding these beds or what. I'd wanted to plant something in as close to wild conditions as possible, and a part of me just thinks it would be absurd if seng was so persnickety it couldn't stand to be around other plants at all. Maybe I'm wrong in that, I dunno. I'm sure if this was easy the market prices wouldn't be near as steep as they are, but I'd figured one of the biggest barriers keeping a lot of people from getting in the game was the sheer length of time until harvest.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any more thoughts about how to increase germination and yields.

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35600

Latt stated that he probably had around 700 plants plus some yearlings so like jimseng said we will call it 800 total at about 2.5% out of 32,000 seeds.
Believe it or not that is probably about right on survival rates from ordered seeds over a 5 year period. Oh, some people might have better success but on average that's about right.

Once I saw what was dying every year I started digging all my better 3 prongs and 4 prongs each year. I sure have changed my strategy about planting though.

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35601

\"Once I saw what was dying every year I started digging all my better 3 prongs and 4 prongs each year. I sure have changed my strategy about planting though.\"

In what ways have you changed your strategy?

And I'm assuming you were digging up the 3 and 4 prongs because you were afraid they'd die too? Do you still do this?

Also, I'm a bit curious...when the ones that do survive start producing seeds, do the plants that grow from their seeds have any better survival rates than first-generation ordered seeds?

Re:Question on Unsprouted Seeds 8 years 9 months ago #35602

jrheadly2482,

Yes I dig because of fear of them dying and poachers.

I only plant my own berries now and in small spots. Maybe 10 or 12 seeds in real good soil.

I believe the plants that do survive are stronger and the offspring are much stronger. These are the berries that I plant.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 328 guests and no members online

Login