2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is this the real thing?

Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24343

New to the forum, and new to ginseng in general... really enjoy learning from y'all. Walked over 7 acres of wooded land to see if ginseng would grow or currently is growing. Trees are mainly oak and maple, once in a while a pine or walnut, east facing slope, but the soil is mostly clay once you go down past 2\". I'll give it a shot anyway and put some seed in. As far currently growing...this is the one promising picture, is this the real deal or are there look-a-like plants that could fool me? Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24344

Picture wouldn't upload...hmmmm
Attachments:

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24346

HOW TO POST A PICTURE

A picture can be attached to any forum post by replying to a topic (or starting a new topic), and then clicking on the \"Select Image file to attach\" below the main message body text field.
Only a single picture file can be attached to a single post. This will depend on the file size as well as the width and length of the picture, maximum of 5 Megabyte in file size and 800 by 800 pixels in width and length. For more files, just make another post.

If you do not know the size of the picture, it is recommended to use picture resizing programs that available on the web for free of charge or you may do it by yourself on your computer.

All the pictures posted on our ginseng forums are hosted directly by wildgrown.com. We do not recommend hosting pictures from other websites due to possibility of missing pictures later on(they do delete old files but we don't!).

A good example of how to post a picture by TNhunter

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...-the-years.html#6185

If anyone is still having problem, please let administrator know.

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24351

Trying the pic again...
Attachments:

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24354

That's not ginseng, I don't remember what that is called though. If you notice how the branches come off the stalk/stem in different places, ginseng does not do that.

Ginseng will have all of it's branches (prongs) come off the stalk at the same exact spot with none below and none above. Also is old enough will have a berry pod in the center of them.

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24355

Jimbo wrote:

Trying the pic again...

It is a little hard to tell from the pic but the plants you show are either Raspberry or Blackberry and not Ginseng. Ginseng has a similar leaf structure (i.e. 3 to 5 leaves per prong) but they usually always grow from the same central fork.

Frank

This is a 4 (four) prong with four branches or stems with leaves coming off the main stem.

Attachments:

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24357

These are flat tops (i.e. just emerged new plants from seeds) with leaves only on the main stem and no forks.

Attachments:

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24359

These are 3 (three) prongs or 3 pronged Ginseng plants with three branches or stems with leaves coming off the main stem.

Attachments:

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24362

I am sorry but I do not have a decent picture of a 2 (two) prong! Most of the pics of these were taken with my cell phone's camera and they are either too far away or too blurry to be discernible.

Frank

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 6 months ago #24368

Heres a group of 2 prongs and single prong plants (or flat tops as Frank has referred to them in his previous post.

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 454 guests and no members online

Login