2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is this the real thing?

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 7 months ago #24369

huntsman53 wrote:

These are 3 (three) prongs or 3 pronged Ginseng plants with three branches or stems with leaves coming off the main stem.

The one on the left looks to be a small 4:ohmy:
There also appears to be a 2 prong beneath the 3 prong on the right.
I also think I see a couple of flat tops and part of another ginseng plant in this pic.... nice little patch FrankB)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 7 months ago #24370

I agree with Frank there Jimbo..

What you have looks like a young blackberry briar to me.

Below is a good pic that will help you identify Ginseng.

It shows a big patch of virginia creeper (another woods plant with leaves similar to ginseng)... and there is one 3 prong ginseng plant in the picture (circled).

What helps to ID ginseng is the pattern found when looking at all of the leaves of the seng plant together. The small leaves point to the center, and the larger leaves point outwards.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 7 months ago #24371

Below is a pic of a 2 prong ginseng plant.

That is from one of my wild simulated patches.

Notice again - big leaves pointing out, small leaves pointing in.

That is the pattern your eyes will eventually pick up on.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 7 months ago #24379

5prong wrote:

huntsman53 wrote:

These are 3 (three) prongs or 3 pronged Ginseng plants with three branches or stems with leaves coming off the main stem.

The one on the left looks to be a small 4:ohmy:
There also appears to be a 2 prong beneath the 3 prong on the right.
I also think I see a couple of flat tops and part of another ginseng plant in this pic.... nice little patch FrankB)

5prong,

Thanks! I hurriedly copied my' pics from Photobucket after I resized them and did not look too close when I posted them on the forum. Also, thanks for posting the two prong pic!

Frank

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 7 months ago #24541

Jimbo, there are many plants that will catch your eye and my eye to with the shape of ginseng. If you keep looking the way you are you will succeed in the search! Hit the cohosh nettles Solomon seal Indian turnip woods, you'll get it.

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 7 months ago #24543

I would like to add, that when teaching Ginseng hunting, I have the person that I am teaching, carry a 3 prong top, a 4 prong top or both with them as they search. If you find and dig a 3 prong, 4 prong or both, remove the top(s) and carry them in your' hand so that you can occasionally look at them and compare them to plants that you are seeing that are similar. This is how I learned and believe that it is one of the best teaching tools that you will ever discover when it comes to finding Ginseng! Just don't get discouraged that even after you have spent months or even years searching for and finding Ginseng, that every once in awhile, you will be fooled by some plant. It happens and actually happens to the best of Ginsengers!

Frank

Re:Is this the real thing? 10 years 7 months ago #24754

Could be American Oxnard..kind a looks like a patch of wild Oxnard ythat grows near my deer stand

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 144 guests and no members online

Login