2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Plant emergence in northern Indiana

Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 1 week ago #22347

I'm in northern indiana about ten miles south of Mi. When should I expect to see emergence of the stratified seed I planted last fall...this is the first warm week we've had and most trees have yet to bud.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 1 week ago #22348

Your a bit south of where in live in upstate NY but based on my experience, mine will start emerging the 2nd week in May. So maybe yours will start around May 1st.

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 1 week ago #22349

Will they come up all at once? Over a few days? Weeks? What's been your experience?

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 1 week ago #22358

They will come up staggerd typically. So it is not uncommon to see the last one sprout a week to 2 weeks after you see the first few come up.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 1 week ago #22360

Thanks for the info guys....i have a couple of icelandic ewes that are due to lamb in the next week or two as well (thier first lambing and mine) don't know if I'm more anxious for the baby sheep or the baby sang.

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 1 week ago #22362

Some will come up a week or even 2 or 3 ahead of others... just a few early birds at first and then later on more and more will start emerging.

I am down in southern middle TN and started planting in the fall of 2010 and have found 3 leafers up on 3/20 (first year), 3/19 (second year) and this year about that same time.

But the ones I find real early like that I have to look hard for and only a very small fraction come up early like that, the rest, a week or 2 or more later.

I checked one of my wild-sim beds today (a large double row bed) and found several thousand 3 leafers up.

Red-buds are just starting to break into bloom here... so I would bet about the time red-buds kick in there you will start finding some up, and may find a few before that.

Good Luck with your planting !

TNhunter

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 1 week ago #22365

The seeds sprout way before you see them. I'm a similar latitude to Sengfever and I've found many seeds have sprouted :). No green yet though. There is still snow in many spots here, but it seems sprouting begins the second the seeds thaw out.

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 5 days ago #22374

FIrst sprout of the year ...born last night in a thunderstorm....7lb Ram lamb the other ewe is due in 2 weeks... Now just waiting for my sang to sprout

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 11 years 2 days ago #22391

Welcome to this forum!

Can't say as I have ever had lambs... However did raise goats many years ago. Kids were a real event when they happened!

Good luck with your plantings!

Re:Plant emergence in northern Indiana 10 years 11 months ago #22493

I am from Northern IN. As of April 24 I have not seen any popping through the dry leaves.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 179 guests and no members online

Login