2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Ginseng Bed Pics

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21924

That bed has done the best of all that I planted that first year.

They really seem to like that location, and the soil there is good.

Here is one more pic of a reall nice 2 prong that was on the lower end of that bed this summer.

It is interesting to go back and look at the older plantings and to see the results of what is growing in them now.

I hope to see lots of nice little 3 prongs next year, and perhaps to get a few red berries off what I planted that first fall.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21925

Hillhopper,
Looking forward to seeing your large planting pics. It is going to be very impressive.

TonyL
Thanks and if the leaves are dry I can rake off 1600 square foot, plant seeds and scratch them in, rake leaves back on and walk down the beds in less than 4 hours. If leaves are wet it probably takes me an extra hour or two.

TN,
I like your Gypsum board idea. I have not tried the Hankin's method yet. I know you and Hugh have used it with some success and it looks like a lot of work but it gets the seeds planted nicely. I also like to plant against old logs. The ginseng does very well up against the length of the log. You and Hillhopper both have some very impressive 2 year old's. Some of my 3 year old's are not that big depending on the woods they are in.

Thanks for sharing your pics.
Latt

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21926

Here is a pic of one of my favorite plants I have found in the past couple of years. It was a good 30\" tall or more and was knee high. It was over 50 years old. It came from North Central Ohio.
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21927

Here is one of my favorite pics. It is the creek bed in the ravine where I have a lot of my seng planted. It is always wet as it is spring fed but does get fed from water running off the horseshoe shaped rolling hills at the beginning of the creek. The cool moist air in this ravine is typically 10 degrees cooler than up top. I think this helps with the ginseng I am growing on the side of the slope leading down. All that cool moist air feeding up to my planting beds. This is in Eastern Ohio.
Latt
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21929

Latt and TNHunter- Those are som absolutely fantastic looking beds. Obviously a lot of work went into that, and they are impressive!

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21930

Thanks Whit,
Can't wait thou to see Hillhopper's planting site pics. It is going to be impressive to say the least. Wish I was there to help.
Looking forward to seeing more of your planting sites minus the rodo's that you eliminate. You make some really nice planting beds as well.
Latt

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21931

Latt..

Love that pic of your hollow and branch and that HUGE moss covered tree that is down across the creek.

That is one of the things that I enjoy about seng hunting... getting out into the heart of nature and seeing sights like that.

Below is a pic of a real nice 3... probably the best 3 I ever found. It was growing at the bottom of a east facing bluff in some soil that I expect was very high in Calcium... it was basicaly growing in limestone rock chips mixed with rotted leaf mulch.

Notice the size of the leaves compared to my hoe/digger shown just below it. HUGE, even the small leaves pointing in where large and fat/round.

It was getting a lot of direct morning sun in that location, but with no evening sun.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21932

I found several nice plants in that location and other than the size of the top... the roots were also impressive.

You can see the soil there... I tell you that stuff must be ideal for growing seng. Those plants were all nice and stout and had large bulby roots with an abuncance of root hair.

Just look at the root hair on that baby..

Yum !

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21933

Really impressive guys, Hillhopper's planting will be something to see.
TN, Really like that rocky raveling soil. I have some plants growing in that type of ground and they're outgrowing others by twice the size.
Really looking forward to next year and to see how everyone is doing on their sights.

rootman

Re:Ginseng Bed Pics 11 years 4 months ago #21934

I got to thinking about what the PH was at where the best plants were growing and it was 6.2 ph and some of the other places was 6.5 to 6.8 ph.

rootman

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 170 guests and no members online

Login