* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Got my seed and rootlets

Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9188

Bought 1/2# of seed (all they would spare) it weighed 8.67 Oz
Payed for 100 2yr rootlets got 170. I included pictures of the rootlets. There is a huge variation in the size. I am all new to this and there are over 100 of the bigger rootlets. I am assuming the variation is normal.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9189

Nice Koolrayz,
170 roots and paid for 100. That's a great deal. Looks like the roots have many different sizes and shapes which is good. The roots are wrinkled and appear to look wild verses smooth or cultivated, which is good. I even see a few bulb roots.

When ginseng grows the first year it does not leave a bud scar the following year. So if you have a root that has 2 bud scars it is a minimum of 3 years old. I see many roots in your pics that have 4 or more bud scars so those roots are at least 5 years old.

When you plant the longer roots, lay them on their side at a 45 degree angle. Make sure you dig the hole deep enough and wide enough for each root so that when you lay it in the hole it is not cramped and it is able to lay in the hole freely and naturally with room to spare.

Then make sure the hole is deep enough so when you cover it with soil it is buried with at least 2 to 3 inches of soil covering the root and root top.

Make sure to gently and somewhat firmly compress the soil with your open hand so the soil is compacted around the roots. Then cover with at least 1 inch of leaf litter buy no more than 3 inches of leaf litter.

Make sure you do not break off the new fresh white growth bud on top of the root.

If you have the ability to \"water the root in\" that would be beneficial. Take as many gallons of water with you as possible. If you have a clear water stream near by you can refill the gallon milk jug with that. Try to put at least a cup of water minimum on each root.

You may already know all of this so please forgive me if I am sounding like you do not. I just want you to be successful with your root transplanting.

Follow these steps and you will have a great success rate.

Good luck,
Latt

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9190

Latt,
Thanks for the help, It is wet here from the snow yesterday and there is rain coming. I should have this all planted by saturday. Watering the root in is no problem I can haul it with my four wheeler and the plots are close to my house. I want to watch it closely with the first plots while I am learning.
Oh and the product came from Harding, they shipped day after I placed the order!

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9193

koolrayz

Nice varietty of roots.

I see that some of the roots have what is called \"Rusty Root\". That's the rusty looking spots on some of your roots.

Rusty spots will affect the market value, but it may clear up by the time you harvest the root.

This is what Persons book says about it. pg 118

\"The rust, by the way, is the root's way of fighting infection or adverse conditions. The rusty area ia actually a \"corking over\" that prevents further tissue destruction.\"

There is no treatment for rusty root. It's not something that would spread from root to root. So I would'nt worry too much about it.

I would agree with Latt on how to plant the roots except for the planting depth. All the literature I have on planting rootlets, suggest 1\"-2\" deep. The care instuctions I have from Hardings and Paul Hsu, suggests 1\"-1.5\" deep. And actually the depth of the root is not such a concern as the depth of the \"terminal bud\" depth. The root could lay deeper, but the actual bud is what should be 1\"-1.5\" deep in the soil. Also if your soil is still Very Wet from your recent snow, I would not water them in. Just make sure the soil is packed well around the roots.

And I would add. Keep your root laying with the bud all in the same direction. This will keep the roots from growing into each other and competing for moisture and nutrients. Also the buds should be pointed up hill, not down hill.

Look like you have alot of work ahead of you.

classicfur

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9195

Nice looking roots!

I also am realtively new at this, and I recently planted 300 of 3 year old roots.... the planting of these are more work than it seems.

Good luck!

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9202

Classicfur,
I agree with you and good tip. 2'' to 3'' would be a bit deep for younger roots. 1'' to 1.5'' would be better. I am use to transplanting older roots and I plant them as deep as they are when I dig them.

As far as the roots having rusty root, I thought I noticed it too but was hoping it was just dirt or something. However, another forum member and I communicated via email and he sees it too.

I would pick those roots out and plant them in an isolated area away from the other roots just to be safe.
Latt

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9203

When I say 1'' to 1.5'' that means there should be 1'' to 1.5'' of dirt covering the top of the roots new growth bud. The actual body of the root will be deeper.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9204

That's a very nice count of what you bought. When I received mine, all were divided into 100 count bags. I just counted one bag, and wish I'd taken photos of it... I had 110 in the bag I counted. The other bags were similar in size, and didn't choose to count them. I was satisified!

I am guessing that you've done you site prep, and careful selection of site area... again, wishing you great luck with the planting.

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9205

Latt

It's been several years since I transplanted Wild roots in Wisconsin. But I do remember some of them being planted 3-4\" deep. But the buds were probably around 1 1/2\"-2\" deep. And they have done well.

koolrayz

You might want to think about treating your rootlets and seeds with a diluted bleach water solution. To kill any diseases and fungus that are on your planting stock.

Scott Persons book recommends

\"The simplest is probably to soak seeds for no more than twelve minutes in 1 part clorine bleach to 9 parts water, and flush with fresh water.\"

Others have suggested 1 oz. of bleach to 1 gallon of water.

The last three yrs, I have used a natural Biological Fungicide - Bacillus subtilis GB03. Same treatment used by Hsu's Ginseng before planting their seeds.

This coming fall I will be using \"Plant Helper\" Trichoderma for a seed treatment that has been tested on Ginseng.

I know the bleach treatments have been used for years and it's easy to come by on short notice.

classicfur

Re:Got my seed and rootlets 12 years 11 months ago #9206

I planted 2/3 of my 1/2# of seed tonight after work.
I was going to make these beds longer and plant the seed in these two beds. I changed my mind and decided to test a third area. The beds are 25' long, 5'wide two rows with 3' center strip. I have a lot of room to expand when I make my fall planting in the three area's I am testing in if they do well this summer.
I am having trouble finding this \"Plant Helper\" Trichoderma. Any tips on were you guys are buying it at?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 518 guests and no members online

Login