2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Snake boots or chaps?

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 9 years 11 months ago #27882

I like the plastic snake gaitors, they are easy on easy off and comfortable.
Out of 12 years of digging sang, i've ran into 6 timber rattlers while digging, and out of 6 only one of em i was about to step on it, till the rattler hissed at me. It never rattled it only hissed, by the time i saw it it was deflating its body from the hiss. I usually see the rattle snake first from them being coiled up, which gives them away. They do rattle when you harass them with a stick, but i just leave them alone. It seems timbers are very mild tempered compared to a cotton mouth or a black racer. Ran into a huge black racer once and startled it and man ive never been so scared, it acted like a black mamba cobra staring right at me standing up 3 ft high everywhere i moved. creepy.
I used to never wear snake boots or gaitors till i ran into them in the wild, thats all it took for me to wear em all the time, especially places where i know thers ratters and copperheads, which is good places for dry land fish too.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 9 years 11 months ago #27883

Welcome to the forum DigDug.

I have to agree with you about the relative docile nature of rattlers. When compared with the cottonmouth, they are real sweethearts. I have had cottonmouths come after me, as well as copperheads.

Having said that, I don't wear chaps or other wise legging protection. I do, however, when I'm out there, wear a .45....

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 9 years 11 months ago #27889

I'm gonna look at some boots and call it the most protected I have ever been.

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 9 years 10 months ago #28427

Mortis wrote:

Here's a few pics my sister took. Getting her Masters Degree she spent a few weeks in SC finding and tagging rattlers.

I also tag every rattler that I see!

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 9 years 10 months ago #28429

Naildriver, too funny.
Latt

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 9 years 10 months ago #28442

Looks like you got em :)

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 161 guests and no members online