2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Snake boots or chaps?

Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27817

Which do you prefer/why? I have never tried either and must say that I have been very fortunate a few times.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27819

I have considered moving south....but the heat was a big concern...and then the snakes *shudder* I don't like snakes. Not afraid of them...just don't like em!

Don't know how you guys do it.

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27820

double post...again >:

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27821

Rickyc,
I tried to get a picture downloaded where I was wearing my snake boots and chaps but I could not get it to work since it is on a video that I made last Fall.
My wife and I both wear chaps and boots for protection, and we carry a snake bite kit as well. I believe if I lived in country where you never see rattlesnakes, that just wearing snakeboots would be enough. If there is any possibility of large rattlesnakes, then I would definitely wear both.. The chaps do have a drawback and that is that they get hot and your legs perspire profusely. Your clothing will be completely soaked by the time you get back to your truck and take your gear off. I've not seen any that wick away moisture like high quality fishing waders with Gore Tex.
The cost of antivenin is outrageous if you get bitten and you could still lose a hand or arm or leg so buying and wearing this protection is a must here in East Tn. I will have to say that I see large numbers of Bear Hunters right in the same area that I hunt ginseng with nothing but a pair of hunting boots and they will not stop a bite from a rattler. If you can only afford one or the other go with a good pair of 18 inch Snake Boots.
Hugh

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27824

Guess we're lucky in my neck of the woods. No one has seen a rattler for over 50 years.

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27825

I have a pair of Snake Chaps that were once part of my' Rattler Brand Snake Pants. They come up to my crotch on the front and to the inside of the knee on the rear. They are hot like Hugh stated about Snake Chaps but well worth the sweating and overheating (of the legs) in case you encounter any type of Rattle Snake, Copper Head, Water Moccasin or other type of venomous snake. The problem with Snake Boots, is that most of them only come up to the knee or maybe slightly higher. I don't use them as most venomous snakes strike higher than ankle level and I feel that my' Rocky Hunting boots could handle most bites but I do pull my' chaps down over the tops of my' boots. I think the overheating and sweating problem with Snake Chaps could be solved by cutting out some vent windows in them and sew in some screen (window) wire as Snake's fangs cannot penetrate a good screen wire and this will allow the heat to dissipate and your' legs to get air. For us folks that live in Appalachia (parts of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York aand a few other States), we have to be concerned if the Snake Chap protection is high enough on the body. I have seen Black \"Mountain\" Rattle Snakes up to 8 feet in length while the average is probably 4 to 6 feet. These nasty Rattle Snakes can strike up to the distance of the entire length of their' bodies which doesn't fair well for someone wearing Snake Boots or Snake Chaps that only come up to their' knees. I am probably going to invest in Snake Protection for my' arms this year as I hope to get access to some areas that are well known for Black \"Mountain\" Rattle Snakes and even the little ones can strike you on the hand or arm and may not even be seen due to their small size and how well they blend in with Mother Nature's camoflauge.

Frank

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27826

I wear snake boots myself...

Never had any chaps to try out so can't speak towards those.

My wife bought me a pair of cabelas pinnacle snake boots about 3 years ago and I have been very pleased with them and I have not worn them out yet. They have been comfortable even from the first trip out and have lasted well.

Comfort is a big thing for me... I bought a pair of snake boots once that just did not wear well and on the first couple of trips made blisters on my feet - not nice.

The cabelas pinnacle boots were very comfortable and that is a big plus for me.

We do have rattlers and copperheads here... and in some low areas cotton mouth - although I just don't see near as many snakes the last 5-10 years as I did back in my younger days.

They have some new pull on boots that look good and are getting good reviews. See link below.

www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Pull-On-...roducts#BVRRWidgetID

In my younger days I worked for a timber company and got lots of experience at snake bites. We had to wear leggings during the summer months and I got bit (hit on the leggins several times). Saw several other guys get bit too and even from the larger rattlers you hardly ever got bit over ankle high. Most of the time it was down around the shoe/bottom of the boot.

Not saying they could not bite you higher, but from my experience they usually bite around ankle height or lower.

The type of work we were doing we killed copper heads on a daily basis and rattlers a couple times a week.

We were cutting rings around trees with hatchets(scrubb stuff that was left after clear cutting) and before we burned it and then planted in pines. When you have 30 guys lined up making a pass thru the woods beating on every tree with hatchets... believe me you find the snakes and worst of all yellow jackets and hornets.

If you like frog legs... you would like Rattler too.. the meat is very similar - very white and a little stringy... but good flavor.

TNhunter

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27827

I hunt,love and respect rattle snakes. In Pa with a permit one can harvest one rattler over 42inches with over 21 subcaudal scales (Male) and one copperhead any size. Inorder to count the scales one must handle. I tube all my snakes, use a 4ft light tube get the head into the tube and handle. When hunting snakes I wear leather boots and strap on knee high gators. I do understand peoples fears of them but they are very misunderstood.

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27828

We do have rattlers here in sw va an there seems to be more of them instead of less. Thus the reason for lookin for options and experience. I hope to find comfort and confidence. Thank you guys for your input!

If I ever find that root that will let me retire, well I dont reckon I will. But I can be alittle easier. lol

Re:Snake boots or chaps? 10 years 4 weeks ago #27829

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_det...ge&v=PTWM3iQ-vtE

Don't know these guys but we hunt in the same area. They have alot of good PA snake hunting videos.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Who's Online

We have 942 guests and no members online

Login