2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts?

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27268

wildspirit44,

You say you are related to some folks at Tellico. Did you know the \"Lovins\" at the hatchery? If you were, you can email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we can chat for a bit. I don't want to take this thread down the wrong road.
Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27272

Thanks Frank.
Latt

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27274

Frank,
I sure would love to get back into the water and find some color. I have a few things to prospect with. The basic equipment and then a 6 inch twin 9hp engine keene dredge and a mile marker winch setup with a Honda 5hp power steering pump and 12k winch. That is a two pc setup to easily move around. We sure can move some boulders with that thing. I am up in central WV so it is a bit of a hike so it would need to be a multi day trip due to the 5-7 hr drive.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27280

WVwhitewolf wrote:

Frank,
I sure would love to get back into the water and find some color. I have a few things to prospect with. The basic equipment and then a 6 inch twin 9hp engine keene dredge and a mile marker winch setup with a Honda 5hp power steering pump and 12k winch. That is a two pc setup to easily move around. We sure can move some boulders with that thing. I am up in central WV so it is a bit of a hike so it would need to be a multi day trip due to the 5-7 hr drive.

WVwhitewolf and Anyone else interested in Gold Prospecting,

You can call or text me at (865) 221-9443 or send me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .... We can then discuss a possible meet, plan ahead and discuss the uniqueness of my' secret spot which I am sure you will find interesting.

I have a lot of basic prospecting equipment as well as a Highbanker/Dredge with a Honda Trash Pump for water supply. Since my' secret spot is about a mile or more from a road which allows vehicle traffic, I may try to purchase a Mini-Highbanker/Dredge which can be carried in instead of carted or wagoned in.

Frank

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 2 months ago #27293

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Couldn't agree more old friend on all of what you said.

TNhunter wrote:

I finally got around to watching this show last night...

I was really hoping to see some nice seng woods and lots of ginseng plants...

I turned it off after 15-20 minutes... it just did not appeal to me at all.

It seems to be mostly about a bunch of red necks that have it in for each other, back stabbing, fussing and fighting, threatning others... and the language (lots of bleeps).

Not for me.

PS... I will be glad when this cold is over (winter seems to be running on and on) and I would rather be small mouth fishing and planting my garden :-)

TNhunter

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27441

I think the show over glamorizes the whole thing. Like like \"Gold Rush\" for seng. Lots of people will get into after watching the show. I think the result will be more regulations and more poachers.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27445

My next door neighbor wandered over on Sunday, for a casual conversation that we have occasionally. He mentioned this TV show.

\"Have you seen it?\" he asked? I replied with some of the concerns that we have posted here on this thread and the other one that K_Duce started. I believe I also mentioned that the show was full of s#^t. Looking back, I see that wasn't very polite of me....

He was taken aback, I think. He liked the show. I said, \"Really?\" He knows that I grow a little ginseng in my back woodline.... I asked him, \"how many times have you seen me running after intruders with weapons drawn?\" His ans was \"None.\"

Also asked him: \"what do you really like about the show?\" He liked the fact that it was taking place in the Appalacian mountains. He liked the basic concept of catching trespassers. He liked that the show represented that one could wander the mountains taking what one could find.... and he liked the representation from the show that this stuff was there plentifully. I think he was thinking about going up and trying this whole thing out for himself.

Hmmm....

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27446

Whitjr, that is exactly what I was worried would happen, with thousands and thousands of people across the country. The show makes it seem like any guy can get out of his car, wander into the woods 100 feet, and dig up $1000 of ginseng in an hour. I have no problem with the show concept, if they would be a little more accurate in how they portray the business to those that know nothing about it. The show is taking advantage of human's natural tendency to get \"gold fever\" over easy money.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27447

Mortis wrote:

Whitjr, that is exactly what I was worried would happen, with thousands and thousands of people across the country. The show makes it seem like any guy can get out of his car, wander into the woods 100 feet, and dig up $1000 of ginseng in an hour. I have no problem with the show concept, if they would be a little more accurate in how they portray the business to those that know nothing about it. The show is taking advantage of human's natural tendency to get \"gold fever\" over easy money.

I agree with what you stated and it shows in what Whitjr wrote about his next door neighbor! These folks are seeing the Hollywood theactrics of this Show as being real. That anyone can go out and make a lot of money hunting and digging Ginseng, when in reality, most really can't. Imagine the true reaction of West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York and Vermont (sorry but since the show centers around the Appalachian Mountains, I left out the States where Ginseng grows outside of them) longtime diggers of Ginseng when they head out to their' secret spot to find cars or trucks already there with Colorado, Texas, Kansas, New Mexico, Wyoming, etc. License Plates on them. While many folks in the Appalachians are level headed and very giving, some are not and I fear that the Show could trigger a blood bath. It also depicts poaching and trespassing as a way of life and that it is okay, when it is not and which also could get some folks killed or seriously injured. Many of the people who are taken in by the Show and the thoughts of making good money fast, will quickly come to the realization that hunting and digging Ginseng is hard work, not a way to get rich fast and can be very dangerous if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, there will be those that won't come to the same realization due to their specific financial situation and/or especially those who are addicted to drugs and need money from Ginseng to supply their need.

Frank

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27449

You go, Frank!

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 345 guests and no members online

Login