2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts?

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27555

You are right hillhopper about a few tick infested and snake-filled trips to the woods will deter a lot of newcomers. Also, digging ginseng is hard work and most people nowadays arent willing to do what it takes to seng. However, the main problem the ginseng industry faces are dealers who are willing to buy out of season and those that buy immature roots (i.e. billies, young 2, 3, and 4s). If diggers have no where to sell before season and immature roots are culled out, like responsible dealers should, the ginseng population would increase dramatically.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27559

Im going to amend my previous post. It kinda sounded like I was against new harvesters of ginseng. That's not so! This ol' world is give and take, if everyone takes more than they give, then eventually there is nothing left to take! For anyone in the reading audience, don't let this be the case.

We live in a world of consumers, producers and destroyers. Look at it this way: a native plant of our free,young country exists despite it's value,despite it's ability to heal,strengthen,adapt, endure, and survive. Somehow, it has survived beyond it's value to live wild in our native woodlands and to keep pushing forward.
If any you, a newcomer, to this species were to sit amongst a full,wild, native population, try not reap what nature has struggled and flourished through but to enjoy and help it along in it's efforts. A modest pay for this expense is expected but do not become greedy.

This is far beyond a \"Get Rich Quick Scheme\", if you are in it solely for money...Get out, you won't get it! If you enjoy medium wage pay for tick,chigger and every other critter infested work...carry on then.
For me, a way my Father taught me to enjoy our woodlands and help it along for my being there. This is a culture handed down through the years from father to son in respect of our forests. Sure, in the past, people have made grave mistakes and the price has been paid but not recovered. Nature is still doing it's best to recoup from those mistakes despite an ever encroaching boarder. When exiting our wild places, leave it in a more fruitful place and help it along!

Friends,
There is but a fraction left of the land our colonial ancestors once set foot on this grand fresh world. Greed and ignorance once overcome our forefathers and even our society now. Many a circumstances has struggled and limited it's growth and what you do find should be appreciated.
If they were to be a final nail drove into the coffin of our native wilderness, be the man planting a seed in hope of it's better day.

Hillhopper

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27560

vabuyer, It's not your legal buyers but the unlicensed people out there buying at a fraction and diggers doing this all out of season. That is the problem.
Also legal buyers won't purchase underage roots because it's illegal and no market for them.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27561

rootman wrote:

vabuyer, It's not your legal buyers but the unlicensed people out there buying at a fraction and diggers doing this all out of season. That is the problem.
Also legal buyers won't purchase underage roots because it's illegal and no market for them.

rootman,

You are partially right with your comments! Yes, there are a lot of unlicensed folks that purchase Ginseng out of season as well as in season. They are the ones that we hate the most as they prey on those without means to get their' roots to the Licensed Dealers/Buyers and they give a market to those who dig roots illegally. However, there are legal (Licensed) Dealer/Buyers out there that do the same which compounds the problem with providing a market to those who dig roots illegally. Let's just say that there is one that I know of fairly close to me but he is on the radar of Law Enforcement and one of these days, he will slip up, if he hasn't already done so.

Frank

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27562

Hillhopper wrote:

Im going to amend my previous post. It kinda sounded like I was against new harvesters of ginseng. That's not so! This ol' world is give and take, if everyone takes more than they give, then eventually there is nothing left to take! For anyone in the reading audience, don't let this be the case.

We live in a world of consumers, producers and destroyers. Look at it this way: a native plant of our free,young country exists despite it's value,despite it's ability to heal,strengthen,adapt, endure, and survive. Somehow, it has survived beyond it's value to live wild in our native woodlands and to keep pushing forward.
If any you, a newcomer, to this species were to sit amongst a full,wild, native population, try not reap what nature has struggled and flourished through but to enjoy and help it along in it's efforts. A modest pay for this expense is expected but do not become greedy.

This is far beyond a \"Get Rich Quick Scheme\", if you are in it solely for money...Get out, you won't get it! If you enjoy medium wage pay for tick,chigger and every other critter infested work...carry on then.
For me, a way my Father taught me to enjoy our woodlands and help it along for my being there. This is a culture handed down through the years from father to son in respect of our forests. Sure, in the past, people have made grave mistakes and the price has been paid but not recovered. Nature is still doing it's best to recoup from those mistakes despite an ever encroaching boarder. When exiting our wild places, leave it in a more fruitful place and help it along!

Friends,
There is but a fraction left of the land our colonial ancestors once set foot on this grand fresh world. Greed and ignorance once overcome our forefathers and even our society now. Many a circumstances has struggled and limited it's growth and what you do find should be appreciated.
If they were to be a final nail drove into the coffin of our native wilderness, be the man planting a seed in hope of it's better day.

Hillhopper

Hillhopper,

That was a very good and heart felt post! When I am out scouting or digging Ginseng, Deer hunting, Wild Turkey hunting or Gold prospecting, I often sit back and wonder if I have been walking in the footsteps of Davy Crockett, my forefathers and even Daniel Boone. It is highly possible as I practically live, hunt and hike in their' backyards. Also, it is a good possibilty that my kin folk knew as well as possibly hunted with or fought side by side with Davy and Daniel. We all should strive to leave Mother Nature better off than we found her, for if we don't, a lot of her' wonders will disappear just like the Dodo birds. We should also strive to preserve her' wonders for future generations and especially so, for our children, grandchildren and the many great grandchildren to come.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27564

Awesome post hillhopper I really enjoyed reading that. Greed is never good and can creep up on even the most honest of men. We have been blessed with this beautiful extraordinary native plant. Reaping the rewards of our labor Is what makes hard work great, but there is definitely a line we must not cross if we want to see this plant keep thriving.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27565

I'm curious how much North American, or European market there is for seng? If future generations in Asia don't value ginseng as much for it's medicinal properties, or if they start enough growth farms of their own, is there a strong market anywhere else in the world for seng to hold it's value?

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27567

Mortis,
The Asian market as well as the Asian population in general are deeply engrained in tradition. Ginseng has been held in high regards for thousands of years. The Asian market will continue to be strong. Younger Asian generations will hold steady to strong tradition and the quest for quality ginseng.
So rest assured my friend, the Asian market will stay strong.
Latt

PS - Hillhopper, great post.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27568

Vabuyer, you must be mistaken in your post. \"young 2,3, and 4s\". Hum, don't think so. Never seen this man dig anything but big ole roots. Plus this man has led the pack for years advocating good stewardship practices in the woods!!
Latt

vabuyer wrote:

You are right hillhopper about a few tick infested and snake-filled trips to the woods will deter a lot of newcomers. Also, digging ginseng is hard work and most people nowadays arent willing to do what it takes to seng. However, the main problem the ginseng industry faces are dealers who are willing to buy out of season and those that buy immature roots (i.e. billies, young 2, 3, and 4s). If diggers have no where to sell before season and immature roots are culled out, like responsible dealers should, the ginseng population would increase dramatically.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27569

latt,

there are guys out there left and rite who dig anything insight. i did not say all diggers were in this category but i can tell you this year alone i probably culled out well over 10 pounds of immature roots that were not old enough to dig out of all the ginseng i purchased. i can also tell u that all 3 competitors of mine would have bought what i sent back home with the digger. that is what is hurting the ginseng population and yes these same guys buy out of season. i think you need to read my original post again.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 339 guests and no members online

Login