2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I found some seng

I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23584

In my fridge that somehow got over looked. Opened it up and they was sprouts with tiny leaves? These have been there since last fall, so how can I get them to survive? Wait till winter and set them out?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23585

I would suggest that you get them in the ground ASAP...and don't get caught with them.

I'd plant them under a bush in the back yard or something if I were you.

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23586

I would think that going from the cold environment of the fridge to outside in this August heat, would do more harm to them than good, right??!! I would plant them in pots in good top soil and potting soil and keep them in a cool place inside the house but where they can get a little bit of sunshine each day. Once they have acclimated to being outside of the fridge, then move them outside under heavy shade trees, then plant them in a good Ginseng growing environment sometime after Ginseng Season (September 1st) is in.

If they are left over Ginseng from last year, it would be the same as a digger holding onto their' Ginseng until the next Ginseng Season in hopes they will get more money out of them! I really don't see anything illegal in having it past the season but if anyone does, please explain.

Frank

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23587

Frank, I guess you would have to have them certified holding them over from last year. I don't think it would be a big deal though, he didn't even remember them.

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23588

I sure would hope they have bigger fish to fry. Wouldn't have said anything if I thought I was doing something wrong. I just found them today and was headed toward the trash then took a look and saw the sprouts. I don't know how these things did this, I'm sure they could not stand the heat and don't know if they would live if set out in the fall. Just cant see throwing it out if it could survive..

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23590

Mr wild wrote:

Frank, I guess you would have to have them certified holding them over from last year. I don't think it would be a big deal though, he didn't even remember them.

I think the certification rule/law only applies to Ginseng held over by Ginseng Dealers! However, they may different rules/laws in the State where rickyc lives.

Frank

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23591

rickyc wrote:

I sure would hope they have bigger fish to fry. Wouldn't have said anything if I thought I was doing something wrong. I just found them today and was headed toward the trash then took a look and saw the sprouts. I don't know how these things did this, I'm sure they could not stand the heat and don't know if they would live if set out in the fall. Just cant see throwing it out if it could survive..

rickyc... I think if you plant them as I stated above and make sure to give them a good dose of water when planting them and the next day or so, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised! After planting them, you might want to wait well into the Fall or early Winter before transplanting them in the woods. This should give them time to develop a mature bud and should ensure their survival for the next year or following year. If and when you plant them in the woods, don't dismay that they don't come up the very next year as many transplanted roots have a tendency to wait an extra year to grow a top!

Frank

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23599

Yes, in Ohio (and I think also most other approved states with a ginseng management program) it is not lawful to possess uncertified ginseng during the closed season.

I understand it was an oversight, however, it is also a legal requirement that diggers must keep records of their harvested ginseng by the day. So essentially, the fact that he forgot about it indicates another legal issue.

I'm not trying to be the hardass here, just precautionary and offering friendly advice. Were it me who found out within my jurisdiction...you bet I have other things to do. However, a stern warning is certainly in order. But that is me. I have been a cop long enough to know that I'm a little more understanding than some folks wearing a badge.

...and I think if you get them in the ground ASAP, they will probably be ok in a year or so

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23602

BCastle wrote:

Yes, in Ohio (and I think also most other approved states with a ginseng management program) it is not lawful to possess uncertified ginseng during the closed season.

I understand it was an oversight, however, it is also a legal requirement that diggers must keep records of their harvested ginseng by the day. So essentially, the fact that he forgot about it indicates another legal issue.

I'm not trying to be the hardass here, just precautionary and offering friendly advice. Were it me who found out within my jurisdiction...you bet I have other things to do. However, a stern warning is certainly in order. But that is me. I have been a cop long enough to know that I'm a little more understanding than some folks wearing a badge.

...and I think if you get them in the ground ASAP, they will probably be ok in a year or so

BCastle... As far as I know, there is no requirement by the State of Tennessee for a Digger to keep records of Ginseng harvested by day. If you know of or can steer me toward information that states otherwise, please post it here. However, the National Forestry Division does require records for Ginseng harvested in the National Forests.

www.tn.gov/environment/na/tnginseng.shtml

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Laws...and-Regulations.html

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Laws...ulations/Page-2.html

Frank

Re:I found some seng 10 years 7 months ago #23603

You are correct, I cannot find any requirement in the Tennessee law requiring diggers to keep daily records like we must in Ohio. However, I should note that my understanding is that this is a federal requirement forced upon the states...so beware of any changes in this in the future.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 646 guests and no members online

Login