2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42521

I got off work at 4 and dug just a few... 6 roots and it poured down rain on me... had to quit for a while.

Here is a Pic of the first two roots harvested this year... a couple of nice ones.

I harvested a few 8-9 year old wild sim roots too, and they are looking pretty good too, nice ball roots, with some neck to them.
I will include a few pics of them later on... rain has stopped.. heading back to dig more.

Good Luck to all who dig this year !

TNHunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42522

nice

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42523

This is what one of my 9 year old wild sim plants looks like...

it was a somewhat mid sized 3 prong (as many of my 7-10 year olds are)... nothing special just a decent 3 pronger.
It grows slow here on my place.

The root I think had a nice shape to it - somewhat ballish, with some forks, and some decent neck showing up at this point.
That was one of the first ones I dug to check out... and then later after the rain i did did a few more of those on some land I will be selling in a year or two.

In Scotts book he mentions 7 years for harvest on wild sim... but that obviously is in ideal growing location (which my place is not). It grows here, but slow... slow. My soil is not near ideal fertility for seng, and my light conditions are heavy timber... so lower light. The combination of lower light and less fertile... makes for SLOW growth on ginseng.

I knew that starting off... so no suprise to me. This is about what i was expecting.

Overall pleased with the looks of the top and root... for this 9 year old... but I think ideally this plant really needed another 5-10 years growing on my place to be a real quality seng root.

TNHunter
Attachments:

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42524

This pic here shows some other 7-10 year old wild sim roots that I harvested up close.

They look pretty much just like the wild does here on my place.

My battery is out on my scales... but I would estimate that I dug around 10 oz yesterday evening including a few nice wild roots.

I don't think my wild sim will have any trouble selling as wild... after all all I did was plant the seeds, they grew completely wild, so how could they be any different ? They sure look wild to me. Again another 5-10 years would improve things no doubt.

TNHunter
Attachments:

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42526

they look fine tn,dont think no buyer could tell the difference ..

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42530

Chief... sorry to hear that it looks like you are going to have a short season there... it was like that here last year, just burnt up in no time.

We had one of the wettest years I can remember this year... except for about 3 weeks in July... we had plenty of ran, even here in August and early Sept, we have had rain.

I got out today on this holiday and dug a little wild, and harvested a few of my seed bed roots...

Including a pic of them below. Those are some awesome roots for sure...

TNHunter

Attachments:

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42536

very nice TN,i went yesterday 60 percent look like this..
...this one was 50 yards from the place I parked, I gently brought it out to get a good pic....had less than a inch of rain in aug. and no rain this month so far ..aint mowed my yard in 21 days..its bad here....

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42542

Chief that is some sad looking seng there... not even yellow just brown and crispy looking.

Hate that... For you... I know you usually dig a BIG Pile of it and I was looking forward to see that.

Not sure I will harvest any more this year... if a place opens up to me I might, but not sure.

I do need to catch some more smallies for the freezer.

Hope you all get some rain... but sounds like it may be too late for most of your seng this year.

TNHunter

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42543

yeah ,tn I think a rain will just beat it down,,seen very few berries ,no rain sight for another week,,iam hoping for cooler temp.s so the crappie will start biting...got to 91 degrees here today and humid as all get out....

TNHunter 2020 Ginseng Harvest Season 3 years 6 months ago #42544

going to take this year off from digging...will probably still go out and plant any berries i find, but leave the roots.
my "little" way of boycotting china...lol

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds

Who's Online

We have 345 guests and no members online

Login