2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: TNHunter 2018 Season

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41743

Hey Folks...

I know I am late on posting this but better late than never I guess.

Here in my County it got really hot and dry thru August and into September. I got hardly any seed from my seed producing bed... they were all down and out by Sept 1.
It was completely different last year, with some good rains in Aug and Sept, I harvested over 400 berries. Not this year though.

A lot of the wild seng was yellow and down or going down by sept 1 too, with a few exceptions.

I did go on one hunt this year, and checked some hollows close to home and found a dozen or so diggers. Nothing big, just average 3 prongers for here.
Some of them had good age on them and I got me enough to eat for this next year. None to sell though. That is OK.

I did take on a project (finishing our basement) and did some fishing, which I love just as much as senging.

Got a few pics to share..

TNHunter...

First a couple pics of some of those 3 prongs I did find. They were few and far between and the ones i did find you could tell they were rather stressed out from all the heat and dry weather.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41744

Here is what my little pile of roots looked like after drying...

Nice color, some long necks in there.

I will eat all of these...

TNHunter..

Attachments:

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41745

We have a partial basement on the front side of our home.. around 500 sf.
I mostly wanted it in case a tornado came down this ridge... and we have headed down there a few times over the years during bad storms.

We finished it up nicely this fall, and bought and moved and re-finished a pool table and put it on one end.
Nice table, 8 footer, with slate imported from italy... I bought it from a lady that moved here, and mostly just wanted to get it out of her house... 350.00 (not bad).
It was a real pain to move and re-assemble, but we got it done, and had new felt put on when finished. Turned out real nice.

Attachments:

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41746

And as usual, my son Cole got him a nice buck, at our hot spot...

We literally walk out our back door, and head down the point behind our house, down to the end. there is a nice spot there that we just always seem to see deer.

I grunted this buck up with my grunt call... and he came running in and stopped at about 30 yards. Cole dropped him with a neck shot.

6 pointer.. and some fine eating too.

Attachments:

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41747

And lastly an awesome sunrise pic I took a while back.

When I see a sunrise like this.. it always reminds me of one of my favorite Psalms.. 19.

V1.. The Heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky proclaims the work of his hands.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and are working on a Happy New Year !

TNHunter
Attachments:

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41748

good to hear from you Tn.looks like you have been busy.sure enjoyed the picture of the root.hope you have a great winter...heres what mine is looking like,dont look like diggen weather to me...

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41749

Chief... you have a good snow on the ground there.

We do get those occasionally but so far this year, nothing more than a few snowflakes falling but nothing that stuck or accumulated yet.

I would not mind having one good snow like that... that stayed 2-3 days and then melted off and was followed by SPRING !

I can't wait to get back in the creek and small river here and catch some bass.

Jan and Feb are my least favorite months of the year. Late March and April are coming... fishing, morels, 3 leafers starting to pop out...

I am looking forward to that.

TNHunter

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41750

we got light snow this morning,snow storm coming for the weekend..yes sir Jan. and Feb. can give one cabin fever for sure..ive always enjoyed your small mouth pic.s on the the hoof and blackened on the grill......

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41751

I thawed out some smallmouth bass filets today... having them for supper tonight.

My wife makes some killer hushpuppies and we will have some taters too. Bringing back a little of summer here in the dead of winter :-)

Yum Yum !

TNHunter

TNHunter 2018 Season 5 years 2 months ago #41752

man that sounds good TN,iam taking out some crappie for super bowl ,hope it wont be to long before we are back on the water.weather here is in the deep freeze.minus 4 for tonight.next Monday 13 below. hope this weather don't get down to you..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.517 seconds

Who's Online

We have 154 guests and no members online

Login