2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: TNhunter 2015

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 6 months ago #37295

Really nice looking roots!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 6 months ago #37298

TN,
I don't know which picture I like the best? The one of the \"under the screen shot of the roots\" or the one of the bass. They both tug at my heart. Congratulations on some great trips. In two more days I'll be digging if they haven't all gone down by then.

Hugh

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 6 months ago #37323

This time of year it's hard to find time to do everything. So many fun things to do outdoors before winter sets in. I'm ready for the fall crappie season my favorite time to fish. Really enjoyed the pics, nice roots and fish.

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 5 months ago #37483

Well with the price of seng still being mentioned as quite low this year... I resisted the STRONG urge to go seng hunting today.

A man that works all week, just has to get out and do something fun on Saturday morning.

With the rain showers we got last evening I thought hard about going squirrel hunting today... when the leaves are wet you can sure sneak up on em.

But my CALL to the river was just a little stronger.

I did a short wade this morning in my favorite small river and caught a couple of red-eye (we call em black perch) and a nice smallie.

This small river is just absolutely beautiful, and with views like this and nice fish to catch and eat... well it's not seng hunting, but a man can sure make do.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 5 months ago #37488

Looks like a great day on the river. I love catching small mouths they can really put up a fight. Never eaten small mouths or red eyes though. Are they a good eating fish?

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 5 months ago #37492

Wild..

YES they are great to eat. In fact my wife and I just ate that smallie and the black perch for sunday lunch after Church this morning.

I filet the fish, and deep fry them... and we make hush puppies.. and a couple of baked potatoes... white beans... Oh man that's good.

I also like them grilled. I use a mix of 50/50 A1 Sauce and Dales Sauce and let the filets soak in that mix for 10 minutes or so, and grill them up. It does not take long, about 4-5 minutes on each side and they are done, nice a flakey good stuff.

The leaves were still nice a wet this morning and I made a quick run down a hollow here on my place (before Church) and in about 45 minutes got 4 squirrels.

Going to have another fine meal on them here soon.

I saw a guy making squirrel stew on youtube not long ago and it looked good. May have to try that. We usually fry the young squirrels, like chicken, and it is great that way. I think it has better flavor than chicken, but does taste similar. The back is my favorite part.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 5 months ago #37497

nice huntin there tn looks like you got some dinner. I may have to try those smallies sometime. Walleye and crappie are my favorite. Sauger is really good too.

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 4 months ago #37777

Hey folks...

If you kill a few squirrels and want to try making some Brunswick stew with them... the link below on youtube a guy shows exactly how to do it. I tried it with 3 of those squirrels in prev picture (the old ones) and it turned out real good.

He shows you exactly how to do it.

I am going to kill a few more here soon and make another batch. Good Stuff.

I used my own home grown can'd tomatoes and corn... and it was excellent.

I ended up not hunting any more seng after my 3rd hunt this year. Glad I did not dig a lot now since the price is looking extra low this year. Nothing wrong with leaving them for next year and hopefully higher prices.

I did get out yesterday evening and made a few pic's.. of fall colors here now. We are past peak, and into that period where a LOT of leaves are falling, but there are still some nice colors.

Below is a pic of my Reliance Peach tree... the leaf colors on the tree.. are sort of reflected in the color on the ground too.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 4 months ago #37778

Here is a splash of nice red color along the edge of my back yard.

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2015 8 years 4 months ago #37779

While looking around yesterday evening I noticed a nice surprise in my tomato patch.

The vines have already been frosted and leaves are all wilted and gone...

One last red ripe tomato. Not a big one... but still one more home grown tomato for the year.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Who's Online

We have 443 guests and no members online

Login