2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: billy,s show

billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28094

I found your show to be more like real ginsenging glad to see you didnt try to sensationalize it too much . will your family be on it each week?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28099

Never met Billy but he seems to be a good, down to Earth guy that loves to find seng. I have to admit though, I cringed when the narrator said they could make up to $200k in a season.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28100

Folks,
I can tell you from first hand experience that there was nothing exaggerated or false about the show that you saw. The danger of the snakes is just like it was shown and the money that the announcer spoke of from a years work is just like I saw when we got back from our trip together. Diggers lined up all the way to the street bringing their crop in to sale. None of it is easy and most could not get up and down those mountains if their life depended on it. If you're born and raised in that environment then it's easy, if you are reading this from a secure living room or den, I would not recommend trying to duplicate what was shown. My wife watched the show and she said that is exactly what we experienced this past Fall and they did a great job of portraying what a real ginseng hunt is like.
Hugh

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28101

No, I do not live in the mountains but I have plenty of time in them (Rockys and Smokeys). I don't sit on the couch and cast judgment either. It takes a person full of determination to frequent those hidden areas that may or may not grow some heritage. I understand the demand it takes of someone to tromp up and down nasty slopes that are full of danger. That was not what I was getting at. If I offended you, I apologize. What the show portrays was not the point I made. It is the salary claim of that magnitude will draw more and more people to the seng woods. No doubt it's true. It's just that part could have been left out. I, and many others, only have some small land to dig on. The draw of people wanting to make it big will make a difference in my area.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28102

Reeder49,
Take it easy. I was not even referring to your post or anything you said. I am not offended or bothered by others thoughts about the matter. I was giving my opinion about the show as I saw it. That is what you did and that is fine. Your situation is no different than mine and I hope neither of us have problems caused by a tv show. I hope that you have a successful crop when it's ready to dig and I hope Billy has a successful business and tv show as well. He's worked hard and he deserves it. No harm meant toward you and I hope that you meant none toward me.
Hugh

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28104

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Thank you Reeder and the narrator did not mention that this was as a dealer not as a digger he also did not mention that I may spend 2/3rds of that to purchase it so the profit is much less than the over all no# but they do have a episode where the dealer area is more discussed. However 200k is not near the amount spent and sold each season. The Ginseng hunters of the US and Korea know that I am a dealer and a digger. All is well.

reeder49 wrote:

Never met Billy but he seems to be a good, down to Earth guy that loves to find seng. I have to admit though, I cringed when the narrator said they could make up to $200k in a season.

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28105

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Thank you Hue. I sure did enjoy your visit this past season and look forward to hunting together again the Lords will.

Hugh Hartsell wrote:

Folks,
I can tell you from first hand experience that there was nothing exaggerated or false about the show that you saw. The danger of the snakes is just like it was shown and the money that the announcer spoke of from a years work is just like I saw when we got back from our trip together. Diggers lined up all the way to the street bringing their crop in to sale. None of it is easy and most could not get up and down those mountains if their life depended on it. If you're born and raised in that environment then it's easy, if you are reading this from a secure living room or den, I would not recommend trying to duplicate what was shown. My wife watched the show and she said that is exactly what we experienced this past Fall and they did a great job of portraying what a real ginseng hunt is like.
Hugh

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28106

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Thank you Leebros - FILTHY RICHES - Has 8 Episodes. The first episode aired Sunday April 20th at 10 PM. ET. and all other episodes will air the following seven Sundays at 10 PM. ET. time.

There are 5 sets of Cast Members for the show.

Greg Dahl & Al DeSilva - The Burl Hunters

Billy Taylor & Sons -The Wild Ginseng Hunters

Ray Turner - The Eel Fisherman

Chris Motherly & Levena Holmes - The Mushroom Hunters

Jim Campbell and Andy Johns - The Blood Worm Diggers

The cast members may be or may not be in a episode. This made room for all of the cast members to fill there separate parts for the season and worked out good for all those involved. So if a cast member is absent for one episode then they will be right back in the next episode.I can not wait to watch this Sundays show to see the Mushroom Hunters for the first time as they where not in the first episode and to see the adventures of the other hard working members as they go in search of there next pay day.

We will appear in these six episodes.

1st week - Harvest Moon SUN APR 20th - 10PM ET

3rd week - High Stakes, High Reward SUN MAY 4th - 10PM ET

5th week - Living Off the Land SUN MAY 18th - 10PM ET

Then in these 3 last episodes

In It To Win It - Check Listings

No Guts, No Glory - Check Listings

All or Nothing - Check Listings

Billy.

Leebros! wrote:

I found your show to be more like real ginsenging glad to see you didnt try to sensationalize it too much . will your family be on it each week?

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28107

Billy...

I would love to see the show.

I don't have your regular cable or dish type TV though. Cut the cord on that a while back.

I have Internet TV with a Roku 3 streamer - we get (NetFlix, Hulu Plus and many free channels that you can get with internet TV). Also have a over the air digital antenna where I get 23 (absolutely free) channels - all of the locals (out of Nashville)+ lots more.

No luck finding your show yet on what I have yet.

Anyone know of a good over the internet source for Nat Geo and Billy's show ?

TNhunter

Re:billy,s show 9 years 11 months ago #28108

Hugh,
Text and email can be misread and taken offensively. That was not my intent. I'm just an old God fearing country boy. I have nothing but respect. Ginseng publicity just makes me nervous.

Billy,
I've been following you for a bit. Facebook friended you awhile back. I'm glad to see you on the television because of the wholesome way things are done by you and your family.

TNhunter,
Also been following you. You've got some great Youtube stuff.

Hope to get some good info from all of you guys. I've been digging/stewarding for 20+ years. Only been growing for 2. I need all the help I can get.

God willing, seng will treat us all well this season.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 99 guests and no members online

Login