2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 2012 season has begun!

2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19009

Well, not a great start for me. I had a property that the owner(my doctor) is pretty protective of. He doesn't want people on it but we've gotten to be friends and he said I could go and dig some seng, but only when he knew I was there. There is a pretty big sugaring operation there so I thought it would be good. I scouted once and didn't find anything, but I did't get out to this ravine, so I thought I'd go opening day if it was ok w/ the Dr. I had a Dr's appointment this past week so we set it up. 3 hour hike....nothing! Maiden hair, blood root, cohosh and many other companion plants, but no seng!

Oh well I still have plenty of times to get to some good spots. It did feel great to get into the woods w/ my digging tools!:cheer:

I stoped at a regular spot just to bury some berries on the way home and managed to dig these two decent ones. One is 25 years and the other 20.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19013

Congratulations Maya,
You have broken the ice for this group. I know that it must have felt good just to get out in the woods and scout, besides bringing two nice roots home with you. We're all living vicariously through you for a few more days. I hope you find many more this season.
Hugh

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19014

Nice looking roots

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19015

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Maya I am happy that you got to go to the woods and those are two very nice roots.I hope to see some more fine photos of your adventures this year,

Billy.

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19017

Hey Maya, if nothing else, that was a good warmer upper lol.. I like your style of digging, I love to see good size roots that have been carefully dug.

Hillhopper

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19018

Nice roots Maya,
We are all sure getting anxious here for our season to open.
Keep the pictures coming.

rootman

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19020

Hillhopper wrote:

Hey Maya, if nothing else, that was a good warmer upper lol.. I like your style of digging, I love to see good size roots that have been carefully dug.

Hillhopper

Wish there were more but I haven't gotten to any good spots yet.

Hillhopper, your talking my language! Last year I got an extra $100 per pound by digging right. You want top dollar, dig older root and try and keep as many of the hair root in tact as possible! I looked at 3 ohter roots yesterday but they were in that 6-10 year range...not what I'm looking for.

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19029

I made a quick hike up the mountain to an area just below where I found the big ones a couple years ago. I found a handfull of plants that were right up along the bottom of a 15' ledge. The plants were all very small...., but oh my did they have some age to them. One was about 35 yo, 3 around 40 and one just over 50! All right around an ounce. :woohoo:
Attachments:

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19030

Unfortunatly a couple of them had been chewed by critters, this would have been big...:(
Attachments:

Re:2012 season has begun! 11 years 7 months ago #19031

Here's the money root! 50+ old and narly. I love this root! It was growing up through a lot of rocks and roots from moss I think.?. Real hard dig on this one but worth it.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Who's Online

We have 180 guests and no members online

Login