2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: All Done here in Ohio

All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14519

Went out yesterday and planted some seed in an area and then walked on up the hollow to an area that I knew held some ginseng. I was down low next to the creek and found several yellow ones and just a couple still green.
Decided that I would head out to my old honey hole today. I was really trying to stay out til next fall, but finally gave into that itch that has been eating at me for the last month. I knew going in this morning that many would already be down and the steady rain that I woke up to was putting them down quickly. I didn't cover the entire area and only spent a couple of hours back there. Only found one green one. Everything else was yellow or had already dropped its leaves. pulled out 20 roots for a grand total of 6.3 ounces, but am transplanting all of them to my seed producing area tomorrow.
My goal at the begining of the digging season was to transplant 40 4-prong plants to this area. I honestly don't know whether or not I achieved this or not. I lost track as I transplanted some as I found them along with numerous 3-prong plants. I Know I transplanted well over 100 plants, but don't know how many were 4-prongs. Anyways, I'm posting a pick of a yellow plant I found yesterday and a couple of some of the nicer roots I found today. I'm hanging the digger up for the year too. I generally call it quits for the year as soon as I start finding just stems and I found quite a few like that today. Supposed to get more rain tomorrow and that should pretty much flatten anything that survived todays rain. And already am anticipating next spring when they start popping up all over again.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14520

Attachments:

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14521

Not the biggest root of the day by any means, but it was the oldest.

Attachments:

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14534

really nice yellow plant. the plants up here (at least where i go) went down hard between oct 3-7 saturday was my last outing, but a memorable one it was! always a sad when ya put away the digger for the year :(

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14615

nice roots got any poundage of older root. looking to buy.

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14635

this is what i got friday, had to get into thick thorn bushes to get them. all the other yellow plants laying down are covered with yellow leaves now. so hunting is pretty much over. might try another thorn bush place sunday. thats where the big ones are because people dont get into the thick thorn bushes. heres pictures from fridays hunt. also heres acouple of real dark old roots and one of them was a double plants on one root.
Attachments:

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14636

heres the dark root
Attachments:

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14785

whereabouts do you hail from in ohio 5prong?

I am in Carroll county.

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14790

buckeyefist wrote:

whereabouts do you hail from in ohio 5prong?

I am in Carroll county.

I'm in Guernsey County B) Getting out deer hunting in the am if this downpour lets up some. Perhaps we could meet up next year for a ginseng hunt together. :)

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 6 months ago #14805

Sounds like a plan 5prong , nice area down there.

Did you get to see any \"exotics\" there today?!? LOL........craziness

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 190 guests and no members online

Login