2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: All Done here in Ohio

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 5 months ago #14825

Fist - Didn't go looking for semi-wild animals yesterday, but that was only about a half hour drive from where I live. Nor did I go deer huning this a.m., but did go out and hang another stand. Down toward the bottom of a hollow where the wind wasn't howling quite so bad. The rain wasn't so bad this morning, but the wind was gusting at 25-30 mph. Didn't figure the deer would be moving much in that. Kinda stinks, cause Wed. and Thurs. are the two days of the week when I am free to hunt. I can sometimes make it out on Mon. or Tues., but those days are iffy. I am shooting for nest monday as the forecast is good and by nest Wed. or Thurs. that good ole rut may be starting in full swing......... Yep, if it weren't for buck fever replacing that old yellow fever I might pout all winter;) Just have a hard time getting out of seng mode.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 5 months ago #14828

5 ,I've seen some smaller bucks following,2 or 3 min.'s behind does.seen a 8 pt. and a bigger 8pt. lock horns and shove around on each other for a little while..so things are picking up here for sure..all I've killed is camp meat deer so far..going to stop shooting them and start concentrating on something big.bucks ain't cleaned scapes here in 3 days ,but its been raining for 3 day's too.

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 5 months ago #14830

I hear ya Chief. The young bucks are starting to move a little here too, but no real heavy chasing yet, and really haven't been laying down the scrapes around here either. It's almost always in full swing by the end of Oct. or the 1st week of Nov. around these parts. I've got several stands hung and shooting lanes cleared, but haven't had the bow in the woods yet. I'm getting pumped for it now though. I like to spread my hunting out. I love bow hunting, but I also enjoy the firearms season and our muzzleloading season which doesn't com in til Jan. I try to get my buck with the bow and then take a couple of bald heads out of the herd. Doesn't always work out like that, but generally that's my goal. (Only allowed one buck in Ohio) It is hard to watch an old bruiser walk by after filling the buck tag early in the season, but the kill is only part of the hunt and I still enjoy seeing those bucks after the tag has already been filled.

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 5 months ago #14833

(Only allowed one buck in Ohio)it's still that way,that's the way it was when we hunted,Gallipolis Ohio years ago..never did understand that.

Re:All Done here in Ohio 12 years 5 months ago #14836

I don't understand it either Chief. Made sense 25 years ago when they were trying to grow the herd, but in recent years they claim they want the deer herd reduced some and have offered more and mor antlerless tags, but still won't allow a hunter more than one buck. I think that they believe that there are too many guys just hunting horns and would end up taking a large % of bucks compared to does. There are ways around that though like offering the second buck tag after taking 2 or three does. If they really wanted the herd reduced something like this would go a long way toward accomplishing it. There are a lot of game laws are either outdated, or just don't always make sense. Heck, there aren't a whole lot of guys that squirrel hunt anymore (most kids would rather play video games) . Ohio did up the limit to 6 a few years ago, but they shouldn't even put a limit on them in my opinion. Not that I'd get out there an killem all off, but if I'm having a good day on one of the few days a year I do go out and the seventh one provides a shot then what the heck. Sorry shouldn't have gotten started on this....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 473 guests and no members online

Login