2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: heart breaking..

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 7 months ago #11734

This greed is why the plant is endangered in many states of it's original range. Maybe people thaink that 'cause they didn't plant it like on a farm-- tha it's OK to take everything. The whole context of \"good stewardship\" is too advanced for some people....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #11742

Whitjr wrote:

This greed is why the plant is endangered in many states of it's original range. Maybe people thaink that 'cause they didn't plant it like on a farm-- tha it's OK to take everything. The whole context of \"good stewardship\" is too advanced for some people....

Whitjr

I think thats what I'm dealing with here.Everyone here just keeps take'n and never put back.I've heard of a few old timers said they stopped years ago senging cause there isn't any left.I'm starting to beleave them.I put on alot of miles for 18 plants so far.Out of those 18 plants 11 of them I took for transplants.I did see some 2 prongers but very few.I bet I've seen less than 30 plants so far.It's ashame....I just hope that everyone did give up and I'll have a chance to put some back.Only time will tell.......

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #11743

I went back and sat out two trail cams. near a small patch of 2 prongers they missed..now I will see if they come back ...put one where I seen truck tracks where they parked....

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #11754

Man that really makes me sick. Further more I cannot believe there are ginseng buyers that offer an outlet for these law breaking poachers to sell baby seng. I know many a good ginseng buyer that will not buy small seng roots for just that reason. They know it was dug too young and they will not buy it. Shame on anyone that digs or buys immature seng roots or small baby seng plants.
It's obvious the people on this forum would never do that and would rather risk losing seng to some unethical digger than to dig it up prematurely.
I hope no one ever finds my 3 and 4 year old patches because I know there are a few bad ones out there that would dig them up without thinking twice about it.
Latt

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #11785

I talked to a warden,,he told me if I get pic.'s to bring them to him and he will darn sure do something about..I gave him the location of the woods ..he said he would keep an eye on it when he patrolled that area..Latt hope you have more responsible diggers in your area..if not I hope they never find your spots...

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #12262

I hope you catch 'em. And like FTB said I'd still report it and talk to your state ginseng director, maybe he/she knows the harvesters in your area. I had a good game warden years ago and noticed there was no turkey in my pasture arfter a good rain, so I called him and said \"somethings mighty wrong, and it's might close\". Opening morning he caught the adjacent property owner's nephew hunting over a ton of corn.
What I'm trying to get at is maybe somebody knows this person and can stop him.

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #12263

i dig cohash everyday and i see ginseng all the time. If people dont start using stewardship in five years no one will be hunting in kentucky because they are going to say that there is not enough left to sustain the wild population. Im going to use my own money to buy seeds this year and every place i dig im going to put two stratified seeds in each hole. Maybe one day my grandkids will be able to harvest some of them. I know that sounds silly but it might cost me some money but at least it will do ginseng some good. Im sorry to hear about your sang that someone dug digging the little ones hurts ginseng more than early harvest although both dont do it any good.

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #12274

Very sorry to hear that Chieftain.

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #12282

well I got a little news on that spot,,wardens came and got my trail cam pic.s..they now have a pic. of a pickup truck parked by the woods..said they were going to run that leed down and I would hearing from them by sat . sept. the third..thats when our season comes in..

Re:heart breaking.. 12 years 6 months ago #12376

Breaking news ,seems the warden went to a guys house with a warrant and his sons house...son had 11 pound of green ,and the father had 8...gone to jail,seng confiscated...I will know who they are in few days,warden could[would] not tell me..said they had complaints on this pair before on other game and fish violations...

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 288 guests and no members online

Login