2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: getting excited now boys!

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11583

I have timed myself in some thick patches before just to see. Which there wasn't 300 in it but I'm sayin probably 2 1/2 hours without a man killing himself goin at it.

Hillhopper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11586

I'm headin out in a little while to see what condition my Berries are in.I'm hoping they are all red I'm dieing to dig all of those big 3's and 4's I've been keeping my eye on.

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11587

Well guys, guess I was wrong again. Not many berries turning red just yet here in my part of Ohio. I did find a few, but 98% of them were still green in the woods I checked out this morning. The berries are starting to turn that pale green like a tomato just before it ripens. I did find a couple of nice old digger 3prongs that I didn't know existed, and I know this woods very well. I took a pic, but it really doesn't do it justice. I was on one side of a very steep ravine, and the plants were on the other. I zoomed in as close as the camera would allow me. There are actually 2 3-prongs in this pic and a pretty good sized 2-prong, but it's hard to see in the pic. The biggest 3-prong is undoubtedly over 20 years old. I also took a pic of some 3 leafers that were planted from berries a couple of years ago.
Attachments:

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11588

It's always good to see those babies come up a couple of years after planting some berries.... I've planted bunches of them over the years, and couldn't tell you the exact location of many of them, but I always try to keep track of a spot or two every year. I dug a couple of nice 3-prongs just up the hill from these guys 2 years ago. The log (limb) was my marker. There is a lot more of an old rotting log just up the hil that doesn't show in the pic, but you can see just a little bit in the bottom right corner.
Attachments:

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11589

Attachments:

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11596

Hillhopper wrote:

I have timed myself in some thick patches before just to see. Which there wasn't 300 in it but I'm sayin probably 2 1/2 hours without a man killing himself goin at it.

Hillhopper

That is about what I was figuring, about 2 roots a minute but man a person would have to be in good condition.

rootman

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11598

season just can't get here soon enough now....

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11599

got out and scouted a woods today...looking good ,seen several nice mature plants..its maked on the gps now..

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11608

5prong, it's cool to see your pics. As you know I am originally from Muskingum County just west of you. Your pics remind me of the areas I hunt over East of where I live now.

I think I am one heck of a leaf raker and seed planter. I can really go at it when planting.
However you guys are killing me time wise on digging roots. I still use a long screw driver. A big root can take me up to 20 minutes to get out of the ground depending on how dry the soil is along with the root depth and amount of surrounding plant or tree roots.

I have yet to switch to a tool like many of you are using resembling an axe type tool with the long handle. I have read many post and seen the videos and it looks like the long handled tool is the way to go speed wise. I would like to try it but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
If I ever do get to dig my wild simulated plants it ain't going to be with a screwdriver. So I will need to learn how to swing that long handled ax looking tool sooner than later.
Latt

Re:getting excited now boys! 12 years 8 months ago #11609

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
LoL 5 the shakes I like it :) Im very glad the patches are looking up for you 5.

5prong wrote:

Billy wrote:

Hey guys it is September 1st for me now the agricukture dep changed our season from Aug 15th up to Sept: 1st I know I excited as most all of my first hunt will be totaly red berries im pumped because usaly by Sep: 1st there all red,that was a great Idea.....

Lord Lord Lord I wanta go senging :)

I hear ya man! I'm starting to get the shakes LOL. Heading out tomorrow just to plant berries (If I can find some red ones). Pretty sure quite a few will be turning as I found 3 red ones a week ago. One of a few areas that I'm really trying to get built up and growing large patches of ginseng.:ohmy:

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 177 guests and no members online

Login