2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Price of ginseng root

Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8411

• ghammond
  • ghammond's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello,

Could someone explain to me how you can sell ginseng root for $400 dollars a pound? It doesn't make sense to me, because if I do a quick search on ebay I see it being sold for $20 dollars a pound. That doesn't add up:

cgi.ebay.com/Ginseng-Wisconsin-WI-Prongs...;hash=item256004272b

Thanks,
George

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8413

That would be field grown and not wild or \"wild simulated\". It makes a big difference.

mhowa

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8414

• ghammond
  • ghammond's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Oh, OK. I see. Sorry, I am new to the world of ginseng.

So, how would a buyer be able to tell whether ginseng is wild grown or grown on a farm? Or does the buyer need to just go on your word?

Also, am I allowed to just go out into the woods and plant my own ginseng and harvest it in 5 years? If so, where do I get the seeds?

Also, I live in Massachusetts. Can I grow wild ginseng here? And if I did grow wild ginseng and harvested it in 5 years, would there be someone I could sell it to?

Sorry for all these naive questions!

Thanks!

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8416

Ghammond,

The ginseng buyers can most certainly tell the difference. In china there are over a couple hundred root classifications. They No!

Yes you can plant your own seed. Read up on it first thou. Buy the seed from a reputable dealer like Hardings Ginseng co, Tuckasegee Valley Ginseng, Ozark Mountain Ginseng, Hardwood ginseng co. Glacier Ginseng co, Sylvan Botanical and there are many others too. I have called them all and talked to them about their seed. I recommend you do the same.

You will have no problem finding someone to sell your roots to. Call your MDNR and talk to them about your plans and ask them if there is anything you need to consider before and after you plant.

Don't worry about being new to this. If you are interested in ginseng read this forum and see what many have said about ginseng. Many recommend the book by Dr. W. Scott Persons on ginseng. Most everyone views this as the best book to read if this is new to you.

Good luck,
Latt

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8417

In my last post above I wrote something that does not make sense.
In the first sentence I meant to say They Know! not They No! lol
Latt

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8451

ghammond

Everyone had the same questions to ask as you do when they first started so, no big deal. If your lookin for just a few seed to try in your area I would be happy to send you some since they came from MA originally. It's lookin like I will have about a pound or two more than I need for my area prepared. Im just about finished planting so you can let me know. I will be happy to send a small amount (50 or so) free of charge but if something like 1/4 lb or more is what you need then I would have to charge for those. You can shoot me an e-mail and let me know.

Hillhopper

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8477

• ghammond1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi All,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to y'all. My last account wouldn't let me log in any longer for some reason, so I had to make a new one.

Latt, thank you very much for your advice! I have purchased a book by Persons on amazon. Looking forward receiving it and giving it a read-through.

Hillhopper, that would actually be really cool to get some seeds native to Mass! If you send me your email I'll give you my real address, ect. (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) I'd like to buy some from you for sure. How would I store them? Put them in the refrigerator until Spring/Summer?

Thanks again everyone! This is a great forum. Pretty stoked about giving this a whirl.

-ghammond

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8478

• ghammond1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi All,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to y'all. My last account wouldn't let me log in any longer for some reason, so I had to make a new one.

Latt, thank you very much for your advice! I have purchased a book by Persons on amazon. Looking forward receiving it and giving it a read-through.

Hillhopper, that would actually be really cool to get some seeds native to Mass! If you send me your email I'll give you my real address, ect. (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) I'd like to buy some from you for sure. How would I store them? Put them in the refrigerator until Spring/Summer?

Thanks again everyone! This is a great forum. Pretty stoked about giving this a whirl.

-ghammond

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8482

I will send you an e-mail

Re:Price of ginseng root 13 years 2 months ago #8483

• ghammond1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Hillhopper - Thank you for your email. I started using this hmamail email address (it's disposable) but for some reason it doesn't show me your email address and it doesn't let me reply to emails (it's kind of annoying). Could you send me your email address to that This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. email and type your email address into the text of the email. I'll get back to you on my regular yahoo address. I think I'll purchase the full 1/4 lb from you if you're still interested in selling it to me.

Thanks,
-G

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 448 guests and no members online

Login