2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can a guy skip the middle man?

Can a guy skip the middle man? 9 years 6 months ago #32981

If a man was to save up his ginseng, or a few guys save up. Can you sell to the top buyer for a better price? Or sell straight to overseas? How much on the pound does the middle man make on average? Please don't take offense to the question buyers, just wondering how the buying market works. May be interested in getting my dealers license since their isn't many in western Kentucky. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Can a guy skip the middle man? 9 years 6 months ago #32984

I don't know personally but I saw on filthy riches the Taylor's sold 60 pounds for just over $45,000 and the narrator of the show said they invested only $24,000 but as you know you can't believe everything you see on the tube. But I imagine they make a good bit off us

Re:Can a guy skip the middle man? 9 years 6 months ago #32989

Hi Loggy77,

Sometimes dealers make more, and sometimes less. I've lost as much as $600/lb. In years like this, many dealers are struggling only to break even and be able to stay in the game.

You won't be able to export unless you are a dealer and have all the necessary dealer and agency export permits and licenses. Just having a lot of ginseng doesn't put one on the map for every buyer out there.

The other thing that folks need to understand is that all ginseng is not created equal. I've posted about this before, but there is no dishonesty in the facts. Ginseng from certain parts of Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee for instance will never bring high prices. The character of those roots are just not what the market prefers. Also, there is more than one wild ginseng market. Some are for lower grade commercial quality, others are mixed, and others are higher end, looking for aesthetically pleasing specimens. This is why it is so important that diggers learn to dig roots intact and handle them properly.

As for the TV show, those guys cut stuff up in such a way that it causes dramatic effect. One is wise to not take what they represent at face value. For instance, what was the high price in Kentucky last year? 45k for 60 lbs is only $750/lb. I don't think Kentucky was that far behind us, and at the end I was paying over $1000/lb to diggers last year who had high quality, professionally handled lots.

Re:Can a guy skip the middle man? 9 years 6 months ago #32991

Thanks Brad. Kentucky last year was $800-$1000, but I didn't sell any.
As for the TV shows, I don't believe a lot. I think the money part is blown up and hurting our ginseng for the honest person. Hopefully these shows will go away. And after a few of these newbies go hunting and see it just doesn't grow everywhere they'll get discouraged and quit.
Now for selling, their is 4 of my friends that are planting wild simulated and we all have some wild on our farms also. I've planted 3 acres and they have 1 acre each. So if it does happen to make decent poundage (\" A BIG IF\"). We where looking to get the best bang for the dollar and maybe one of us getting dealer license. Not sure either how well the wild simulated will sell either. May be a big flop LOL. Thanks

Re:Can a guy skip the middle man? 9 years 6 months ago #32992

BCastle wrote:

Hi Loggy77,

Sometimes dealers make more, and sometimes less. I've lost as much as $600/lb. In years like this, many dealers are struggling only to break even and be able to stay in the game.

You won't be able to export unless you are a dealer and have all the necessary dealer and agency export permits and licenses. Just having a lot of ginseng doesn't put one on the map for every buyer out there.

The other thing that folks need to understand is that all ginseng is not created equal. I've posted about this before, but there is no dishonesty in the facts. Ginseng from certain parts of Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee for instance will never bring high prices. The character of those roots are just not what the market prefers. Also, there is more than one wild ginseng market. Some are for lower grade commercial quality, others are mixed, and others are higher end, looking for aesthetically pleasing specimens. This is why it is so important that diggers learn to dig roots intact and handle them properly.

As for the TV show, those guys cut stuff up in such a way that it causes dramatic effect. One is wise to not take what they represent at face value. For instance, what was the high price in Kentucky last year? 45k for 60 lbs is only $750/lb. I don't think Kentucky was that far behind us, and at the end I was paying over $1000/lb to diggers last year who had high quality, professionally handled lots.

yes I don't believe much of anything I see.or hear on tv. I'm in kentucky close to the Ohio river is my area considered to produce high quality ginseng.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 197 guests and no members online

Login