2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST

STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST 9 years 6 months ago #31397

Selling from NC to up north where is the better prices. I'm looking for only dry prices only. What are the Chinese saying this week since dry prices opened. This forum is for NC, VA, WEST VA, PA, KY, TN, OH. FOR ALL THAT KNOWS PRICES THEY KNOW ARE PAYING LETS COMPARE PRICES. STATE VS.STATE!!! IF POSSIBLE NAME THE PLACES OR BUYERS....... LETS GET IT STARTED!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST 9 years 6 months ago #31406

Hi Xi,

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm at all, however, there is one aspect about which you should be aware if you arn't already. That being that the ginseng in one area is not always the same as the ginseng in another area. Assuming larger, mature, well handled roots with sufficient age as we move forward speaking in overarching generalities.

I am in Ohio and relate most things to our root here. Our root from the southeastern part of the state is normally the better stuff we see. There is some very nice stuff all up the eastern side and along the Ohio River at the bottom of the state. Certainly there is some good stuff everywhere, but not in the average lot you see a digger bring in. Prices quoted for Ohio will normally be for higher quality root in the state. Not all of the root in the state will have the same quality, however.

Just as the quality of the best roots are different within the state of Ohio, the nature and quality of the roots from different parts of the country are different also. For instance, Ohio normally values $150-200 over Kentucky and most of the root from Tennessee, W Virginia and Virginia. However, we are normally $200 behind N Carolina and New York. Some of the states up in the northeastern part of the country consistently produce some exceptional roots as you can see here on the forum. These might not be average roots for that section, but there are more of them coming from there than other places. This is why Ohio might be $300 behind Vermont.

So while your thoughts are logical, (and I think they were influenced by someone who is being less than honest) that being taking root from one area to a dealer in another area where they pay higher prices, it won't work in reality because the root you are taking isn't the same type of root for which they are paying that kind of money. Also keep in mind that most dealers don't operate outside of their home state, and the certification laws make doing so very difficult.

Always remember, the high end ginseng market is always about quality over quantity.

Re:STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST 9 years 6 months ago #31501

Political boundaries do not necessarily determine quality as often as geological boundaries plant and animal life do not know which side of the political border they set on. Many State's borders run along a waterway or a high mountain ridge line. Elevation and latitude play a significant role in quality due to the effect on length of growing season.
Local Ginseng habitat e.g. length of growing season, hillside exposure, soil type and drainage, etc. all determines the overall quality of wild root before it is even dug.
The care taken to dig and the proper post harvest handling effects the original fresh and dry value as well.
Competition and speculation drive prices in local and regional areas and especially areas where better quality roots grow naturally.
There are additional factors effecting local and regional pricing as well.

Re:STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST 9 years 6 months ago #31506

BCastle wrote:

Assuming larger, mature, well handled roots with sufficient age as we move forward speaking in overarching generalities.

Just as the quality of the best roots are different within the state of Ohio, the nature and quality of the roots from different parts of the country are different also. For instance, Ohio normally values $150-200 over Kentucky and most of the root from Tennessee, W Virginia and Virginia. However, we are normally $200 behind N Carolina and New York. Some of the states up in the northeastern part of the country consistently produce some exceptional roots as you can see here on the forum. These might not be average roots for that section, but there are more of them coming from there than other places. This is why Ohio might be $300 behind Vermont.

It appears from my mail that I've not been crystal clear. I am speaking ONLY in generalities associated with the concept of relative pricing ... NOT prices or market conditions today or even this year. In fact, I really don't have a good idea what folks in other states are paying at this point in today's market. I've been entirely too busy to keep up this year.

Re:STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST 9 years 6 months ago #31508

There's another problem with taking dry root from one state to another.

It's all regulated in the individual states. In other words, people should not take tenn. Root to NC to sell. Although I think this does happen, there are reg.s about that.

Re:STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST 9 years 6 months ago #31552

Hello, as a digger for over 25 years and now both a digger and licensed dealer here in N.Y, the more time I spend on this forum and just talking to buyers and diggers all over the country it has very eye opening on the price differences from northeast to the southern states. To the point here in N.Y. for exceptional roots ie: very large great necks well dug etc.. we are $500.00 and sometimes more, judging by the pictures shared on this forum that I've seen I don't understand the price differences, is it that ours has such slow growth because of our harsh winters or something else, I would love to hear some other opinions.

Re:STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST 9 years 6 months ago #31576

May I ask what your average dry root count per pound is?

The larger the root count the smaller the average root size per pound and reflects in lowering the price average as well.

Thanks for sharing your numbers.

Re:STATE BY STATE WHITCH ONE IS PAYING BEST AND LOWEST 9 years 6 months ago #31739

$150 - $220 in Southern MN. No Dealer names will be given

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 496 guests and no members online

Login