2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Overseas Buyers

Re:Overseas Buyers 9 years 11 months ago #28183

Since you are apparently trying to recoup some on your' investment now, you might want to make some contacts in the domestic (North American) Herbal Industry. Much of the Wild and even Cultivated Ginseng harvested in North America goes to China and other parts of Asia and some of it comes back as watered down crap (minute amounts of Wild North American Ginseng mixed with larger amounts of Korean, Chinese or Russian Ginseng) in pills, capsules, tonics and cream. I believe that there is a a very large market (Herbal products) here in the U.S. and Canada that can be tapped and these companies would love to purchase roots like your's and may pay a fair premium over the prices paid for Cultivated Ginseng. I believe that you could recoup some of your' investment via the large and already harvestable roots while at the same time, transplanting some roots and planting seeds in more favorable locations for growing healthy wild looking roots for the future. You could still maintain crops in the current location where the giant roots are growing, to continue with your sales to your' Herbal Industry contacts.

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Overseas Buyers 9 years 11 months ago #28184

Schuey wrote:

But one feature that identifies wild roots are the pearls on the roots - these are highly valued by those who really know their ginseng. (especially when you understand why wild roots will have these pearls)
Strange that I notice that on this forum - wild root photos due not show this distinguishing feature?

Schuey, if you know something I don't, please inform me. What are 'pearls'? Why are they so valued by those who really know their ginseng, and please tell me why wild roots will have them.

I've been wrong before...so if I'm missing something...please let me know.

However, on its face the knots look like nematodes. I am familiar with nematodes as a grower, and know that they do not normally interfere with the healthy look of the plants. I am also aware that multiple tops are normally the result of excessive fertilization. The deep green of the plant in the picture would suggest high nitrogen in the soil consistent with fertilization and a cultivated plant --no matter where it is growing.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just get to the truth of the matter. Lots of folks read this forum for information without ever posting. If I\"m wrong, I don't want to continue to provide less than correct information. At this point, as a buyer, if cultivated price were $50/lb, I would only be paying in the neighborhood of $35/lb for those roots.

Re:Overseas Buyers 9 years 11 months ago #28187

Thanks for all the considered comments.
A couple of points. We use strict organic wild simulated methods. No fertilisers or pesticides used at all. Absolute. You may find this difficult to believe but it is true. Ginseng are not gross feeders and need a balanced soil nutrition but more importantly a soil ecology that allows them to express their true genetic potential. They don't look impoverished or strangulated. They show the many stems, bright green large leaves, and healthy roots that search in all directions for growth not just straight single roots that are forced to grow in cultivated beds.
Every plant may express itself differently.

With regard to \"pearls\". Ginseng experts, especially Chinese colleagues, use the pressence of pearls on the beard roots as one of the distinguishing features of wild ginseng.
e.g.
chineseherbinfo.com/ren-shen-ginseng-root-panax-ginseng-man-root
(Under the headings:- II Ye Shan Shen Wild Mountain Root
Tang Shen 3 Qia pi shen)
Sorry to ramble on as I do not want to pontificate on our ginseng.

Re:Overseas Buyers 9 years 11 months ago #28189

From my experience over the years the large octopus roots are undesirable.

Buyers want single or forked or branching roots with deep wrinkles. They are always asking for long growth necks being over 20 years old.
In the wild ginseng has to fight for survival. That's what gives it the needed characteristics.

Re:Overseas Buyers 9 years 11 months ago #28205

BCastle,
Schuey is right about the pearls, no doubt about it. However, what he fails to translate to us is that pearls are generally associated with Asian ginseng not american ginseng. knot nemotodes is a condition that is visible with his first picture and also the very short root hairs are a dead give away of a cultivated plant, after zooming in on both pics, it is obvious that the two plants don't look like the same species. the 2nd plant only weighs 7oz and the 1st plant weighs 18oz. the second plant picture shows many more root hairs and pearls. Even with the many root hairs and pearls, the short necks indicate cultivated on both plants. Schuey are you related to the schumachers that have the cultivated ginseng farm in wisconsin?

Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 334 guests and no members online

Login