2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Overseas Buyers

Overseas Buyers 10 years 1 week ago #27913

Does anyone know of a reputable agent in Hong Kong/China to buy large trophy roots?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 1 week ago #27926

I know of none. I still don't really understand why there is not an internet site, kinda like ebay where you can show pictures of your prized roots to potential customers on the other side of the world. I guess that would make too much sense. Or maybe the language barrier Chinese/English and import/export laws make it too difficult.

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 1 week ago #27933

Thanks MaxPanax for your reply and I do agree. There is obviously a market for the therapuetic grade of ginseng but also there is an increasing Asian market which understands the limited and decreasing availability of collectable ginseng specimens. There are clients who speculate on trophy roots knowing that they will appreciate in value. They are already buying such roots. Surely someone in China, for example, could make a good profit by accessing such a restricted yet valuable market.

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 1 week ago #27935

I think our host here, Mike Lee, might solve your problem of selling. He is stateside.

BTW- welcome to the forum Schuey.

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 2 days ago #28047

Hi Whitjr, thanks fotyour welcome. Thought I would show this 506g (nearly 1lb. 2 oz). It had 6 stems and the photo was taken in 2009 so imagine how big it would have been by now. I have stored in vodka and, as you can see it stores well.
Attachments:

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 2 days ago #28049

Schuey,
That looks like a cultivated root. Very smooth and the root neck does not have many scars for a root this big. I bet this is a wild root that was growing in VERY LOOSE LOAMY RICH SOIL with a good amount of light hitting the plant but not too much where it burnt the plant top.
I would love to find a root like this but I do not think you will get top dollar wild root price for a root like this IMHO.
Thanks for the pic. I bet the plant top and seed ball was very large as well.
Latt

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 1 day ago #28051

Holy crap, Batman! that is one huge root. Wow!

Latt- After storing in alcohol for 3+ years, maybe the root looks a bit \"cleaner\", maybe? Like you say, I wonder about the age of this one... it's be nice to have a count of the neck rings....

Schuey, how did you come by this root? Many of us would be happy to have roots that are a third the size of that one. How tall was the top?

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 1 day ago #28053

Schuey,
There are many dealers on this board, Their silence on this post is deafning, Trust me if it was worth alot they would be offering you at least 1/4. Im have to agree with Latt on this one, it may be wild but it looks too cultivated. Did you happen to take any pictures of the tops in the woods where it was found? Most of us here always take a camera into the woods. I bet it was a sight to see for sure. Welcome to the Jungle.

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 1 day ago #28057

Thanks Latt, Whitjr and K-duce for your interest and comments. I grow these roots using a wild simulated method. I am fortunate to have a most healthy environment to grow them as the virgin soil is a perfectly draining alluvial sandy/loam and a good cover of evergreen trees which provide a great hardwood mulch. This root was 12 years old. Under an evergreen canopy my soil does not frost over in winter and, as such, the soil does not heave and the roots do not contract and wrinkle in the winter. With many stems per plant, the ginseng grows strongly and bulk up well - very healthy plants. Only management I do is wildlife control, everything loves ginseng! And also weeding, I find you must be very careful not to disturb the ginseng roots when you pull the weeds, they can be too easily damaged.

Re:Overseas Buyers 10 years 1 day ago #28058

Have to agree with Latt and K-duce,

Roots need to have the wild characteristics, long necks and more wrinkled the root the better.
Buyers are getting very cautious about buying because of the influx of woods grown and tame being mixed in as wild. Most dealers run from large smooth roots.

Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 336 guests and no members online

Login