2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to store your ginseng

How to store your ginseng 10 years 5 months ago #26479

I hear everybody talking about how the feeder roots are charished how do u package the roots with out all the brittle feeder roots breaking off first year I sold I put them in a big 1 gallon plastic bag when I ask if the roots were fine like that she said they were just fine like that of course some feeder roots stayed some came off the roots is this an ok way to do it or is there a better way

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How to store your ginseng 10 years 5 months ago #26483

Naturally you will break some. However, unnecessary breakage is bordering on damage and will lower your prices.

I suggest folks who dry their ginseng use small plastic tubs from Walmart or similar stores. The small shoe boxes cost $1 and can hold about half a pound or more. For larger quantities, get the shallow boxes. I like the 28 quart Sterilite containers. They are about 24\" x 16\" x 5\" tall. This is a good size for storing ginseng as you can get 4-5 pounds in them normally, and the shallowness prevents breakage from weight of the ginseng on the top like a deeper tub, bag or barrel will. You can also stack them without breaking the ginseng on the bottom of the stack.

The problem with bags is they round up at the bottoms every time you pick them up. As you carry them, force is transmitted to those bottom corners and it continues to put pressure on the finer ginseng roots causing them to break up in the bottom of the bag. You avoid this damage all together with the small plastic tubs. Even with the lid on the tub it is still not so air tight as to encourage mold.

I don't keep ginseng from one year to the next, but I always store my roots in these tubs while I have it. I have kept ginseng in tubs like this (with the lids on always) for as long as 6 months or so with no ill effects.

Re:How to store your ginseng 10 years 5 months ago #26486

Yea that's a good idea there

Re:How to store your ginseng 10 years 4 months ago #26720

Here is a picture of a few pounds in the tubs I was telling you all about. This is the best way I can find to to keep your ginseng during the season after its dry. It doesn't break up and you can stack the containers.

Re:How to store your ginseng 10 years 4 months ago #26728

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Very good brother.

BCastle wrote:

Here is a picture of a few pounds in the tubs I was telling you all about. This is the best way I can find to to keep your ginseng during the season after its dry. It doesn't break up and you can stack the containers.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 652 guests and no members online

Login