2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Take a look at this!

Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18245

Classic, and some of you more Northern growers, get ready to dig everything that will be saleable this Fall and Winter. You may be looking at $1000.00 to $1200.00 dollars per pound since I don't think there will be hardly any crop in the South or mid part of the country. This is what Tenn. N.C. and Kentucky is experiencing right now and look at this extended forecast.
Hugh
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Morristown+TN+37814:4:US

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18248

Yeah, its gonna be a long one if this keeps up. Won't be much left green in the woods come September.

I just came in from being out in the cruiser and it said there temp was 100 degrees here (and its almost 10pm)

(I\"m in north central Ohio for those who didn't already know)

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18257

Im afraid that will be the case as well Hugh. I would love to get in plenty of Seng huntin this year but it isnt lookin good. On the upside, I have about six pounds I held over from last year that I will have high hopes for.

Hillhopper

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18263

It is getting bad here now too in Middle TN.

Very HOT and no rain in a couple weeks or more.

Everything is starting to suffer, grass turing brown and crunches when you step on it.

I got more blackberries this past weekend, but there will not be many more - they are drying up.

Seng plants in the woods looked good last weekend, but if this keeps up that will not be the case.

Here is what my 10 day looks like now... Going to be scorchers the next several days. Those 20% chances of rain next week look promising, but that is probably going to be those pop up evening thundershowers, that hit and miss. Hope they hit my area :-)

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18264

Hugh

For the most part, Maine has been in the low 70's and high 50's during the night and very wet for the past four weeks.

Yesterday was the first day we hit 80' this month. Even with the moist weather, my plants look healthy. Slugs have been going strong until they get close to my beds and get a deadly dose of Deadline MP's.

For me, I'm looking forward to some dry weather for my seng and also the honey bees.

classicfur

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18265

Good luck to you Classic and the ones who have more favorable weather. I'd be tickled to see you do about $50,000- $100,000 worth of business this year. You've been at it for some time and I hope this is payoff year for you.
Hugh

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18266

classicfur,
man-o-man, 70's and rain.......seems like I can almost remember those days

I don't know about you fellas but, Im in the landscaping business and this summer has scorched me. Im looking forward to Fall weather already.

Hillhopper

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18267

After I posted that 10 day forecast yesterday evening --- I went down the hillside to check on some of my seng.

My seed producing bed was looking stressed out for sure, and some other transplants I had in that same area were in much worse shape.

One little 3 prong already turned completely yellow and another larger one looking real bad too.

I watered them all good, but for some of them I know it was too late.

We are supposed to hit 106 today and as of right now 10:10 am - it is 98 on my back pourch in the shade.

I bet we will see that 106 today.

If this keeps up, no doubt we will have a repeat of last year, where hardly any wild seng could be found after Sept 1.

TNhunter

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18269

I've been keeping a close eye on a couple plants near my house during this intense heat, and a couple of them are not looking too good. One or two I've helped with some watering, but left a couple to use as a gauge to see what they are looking like in the woods without help. They are starting to yellow a bit and looking withered. Not good.

Re:Take a look at this! 11 years 8 months ago #18272

It has been right around 100 degrees around here the last couple of days, but we had one heck of a storm come through last night. I got a little over an inch of rain, but unfortunately there were huricane force winds to go with it. My power just came back on after being out for about 18 hours.

I got up early this morning and went and checked on my seed producing area and another area where I planted a wild sim patch. I've already had quite a few 3 leafers go down, but there still a lot hanging on. The rain should help those ones, but I'm not sure the ones that have already gone down will be back next spring. I guess time will tell.

My seed producing area is fairing pretty well. I've had some browsed by deer, and a few were snapped off by the high winds last night, but the ones that are left are starting to fill out the berry stems. I saw a few berries that were about pea size, but most aren't that big yet. That rain came at a good time, but we'll definately need more in the not too distant future.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Who's Online

We have 173 guests and no members online

Login